What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to make puppet warp pins persist

chick

I would like to use puppet warp and put some pins in a layer, then go off and do something else, then open puppet warp on that same layer and have the pins still in place.

Is this possible?

chick

If I understood your query correctly - No, it is not possible. You would have to 'Apply' the changes after you place the pins and alter the image in order to...

Unless, this part of "going off and doing something else..." is on another document.
Yes, I want to apply the changes, work on another layer in the same document, then come back and rework the first layer. Since the pins don't move during the "apply", I want them to still be in place on that first layer so I can continue to warp it more without having to place all the pins again.

polarwoc

Guru
Maybe if you state your application, someone can show an alternate way of achieving your aim?
For example, split up the layer into different components, each of which is on its own layer so you do not have to reuse Puppet Warp pins after applying?

[ iLLuSioN ]

Power User
You (first) have to convert your layer to a smart object - then use puppet warp.

Now you have the possibility to work on other layers without loosing the ability to change the pins of the layer you edit before with the puppet warp

chick

You (first) have to convert your layer to a smart object - then use puppet warp.

Now you have the possibility to work on other layers without loosing the ability to change the pins of the layer you edit before with the puppet warp
This sounds promising. I've never used smart objects, so could you elaborate a bit? I can change the layer to a smart object, use puppet warp on it, then move to another layer without applying the warp yet? Can you detail a bit more how this would work?

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
In doing this, you actually have to accept the state changes to the puppet warp in the PSB file before moving to another tab or document. So this will NOT preserve the pins while attempting other work. The pins are lost when the state change is accepted.