What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to make realistic blood? (dont enter to bash dark art!!)

Alistair

Guru
I need help.. and I know im doing something wrong. Help... anyone? [innocent] [sleepy] [excited]

Squeeze

Some things to consider about blood when making it:

1. It can be a liquid (wet), or congealed (dried)
2. It has some form of transparency as a liquid
3. Its appearance it very dependant upon its enviroment.
4. How did it get where it is? Poured, splattered, dripped....

based on some of the above, it should be easier to work with

Your example looks to 'neat' to me. The highlights and lowlights seem too strong, making the blood look too solid and globulous.
If your going for 'wet' blood, try and make it a bit transparent and add some reflections/refractions within the blood drops to make it look 'wetter'.

Try some of the 'scatter' options in the brush palette to make more random patterns for your blood. Overall your blood looks to organized, so adding more randomness might help as well...

hope that helps

MsOz

Power User
It's too "plastic/waxy" looking, especially the spatters.

Part of it is the highlights. Part of it is color. Look quickly at CNN.com, there is a woman with blood running down her face.

Think more gel for consistency. Your's looks like melted wax dripped around. Blood drops do not display all the secondary droplets the way you portray them.

You might do a web search for blood splatters, drops, etc.
Here is just one scientific link with a few photos...
http://www.wagnerandson.com/oj/falldrop.htm

Here's a fun bloody effect photo manip tutorial:
http://www.metafilter.com/mefi/25506

scorpion

what i do is use blood brushes and add a slight gel effect followed by a little bit of liquidize

ToXin

I looked at this the other day, there was something that I couldn't put my finger on that wasn't 'right'...?

I think there are two things, maybe three ...

Splat, rather than drop - even dripped form a relatively short distance, blood 'splats' even if only vertical ther should be a 'splatter pattern'

The 'consistency' doesn't look right - too many small random drops?
Too much emboss, making it appear thick and gel-like?
Colour - fresh - bright red, dried - dark red/brown/black, dried would have soaked in to any porous material and therfore not have a visible meniscus.

The shadow is inconsistent with the main image ( I realise this may just be a 'test', so no big deal)

Having said that, I don't think it's too far away :)

I'm going to have a quick play and see if I can illustrate what I'm trying to say... \:]

Mr. Duer

Hey

So did ya figure out how to do it? I have some pointers if you want.. I just learned myself.. Let me know.. :perfect:

kiwi

Guru
Where can I find these blood brushes guys?.....might make a good challenge ;) .......fluid is always good to practise creating.

A Squarecan

ok guys, I hate to get into all these blood posts, lol but what ever, I down loaded the brushes, and I put them in the brushes folder in adobe but I am not seeing them [confused] did i do something wrong? :(

Keith