What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to make specific selections

Rich54

Guru

This image you attached here is different from the one I was working on. In the image I used, the window is essentially an oval shape. But in the image you are working on, the left edge of the window is cut off by the frame and has sharp corners as well as curved sections. So for this path, you will probably need five or six anchor points, not three. Place anchor points exactly on the two sharp corners on the left side, and two more on the two sharp corners along the top where the top edge of the window is cut off by the frame. Then for the rest of the curve—the right and bottom portion of the window, you'll probably need at least two anchor points to define that curve.

This particular image is a bit more involved than the one I was working on. I suggest you try to mimic my results using the same image I used, just to get yourself working with the Pen tool. Once you're successful there you can tackle your more complicated image.

knowoneuno

Command Click I don't know. Give it try. I am on a Mac.

I'm on a Mac, too and I just can't figure it out. I've done "Command Click" and can't get rid of the point. Also, I still never get the marching ants. So frustrating.

JJLAPIN

Guru
I'm on a Mac, too and I just can't figure it out. I've done "Command Click" and can't get rid of the point. Also, I still never get the marching ants. So frustrating.
Then Option click like I previously stated. To get the marching ants Command Click on your Path in the Path Pallet.

knowoneuno

I am certainly not "there" yet, but I felt better with this result. I know that I have a long way to go and I'll get there, just have to work with it over and over.

VU6A4548_pen_tool-a.jpg

Rich54

Guru
You're definitely getting there. Keep plugging away with the Pen Tool and one day you'll master it. I struggled with it at first just like you but now it's my favorite tool.

One last comment... you asked earlier about feathering your selection and we said no. However, one way to make your edits look more realistic is that the sharpness of your edits should match the sharpness of the rest of the image. In some of the gradients you added, their sharp edges seem more in-focus than any of the other detail in the window frames immediately surrounding the gradients. So in order to match the rest of the image, after you've obtained the marching ants selection from your Pen Tool path you may want to go to Select>Modify>Feather and experiment with a small amount of feathering (one or two pixels, probably) to make your gradients look like they belong in the image.

knowoneuno

Here is my latest attempt at "mastering" the pen tool. Still need to work on it. I'm thinking I need "more" pen points so I can get more precise with my selection before I put a gradient in it?
VU6A6885_pen_tool.jpg

JJLAPIN

Guru
More Points = a Choppy Mask. Make your Path at 200 to 300% zoom. Cut out into the cabin at least 1 or 2 Pixels to avoid the dark outline like you have in places.

knowoneuno

More Points = a Choppy Mask. Make your Path at 200 to 300% zoom. Cut out into the cabin at least 1 or 2 Pixels to avoid the dark outline like you have in places.
Help me understand your comments better please? I'm not a Photoshop whiz at all. What do you mean make your path at 200 to 300% zoom and cut out into the cabin at least 1 or 2 pixels. I do see the dark outline that I have in places. That is one part I want to certainly avoid. Thank you!!

JJLAPIN

Guru
Help me understand your comments better please? I'm not a Photoshop whiz at all. What do you mean make your path at 200 to 300% zoom and cut out into the cabin at least 1 or 2 pixels. I do see the dark outline that I have in places. That is one part I want to certainly avoid. Thank you!!
200 to 300% is the Zoom shown at the top off your image.(How much it is blown up on your screen) Make your Path into the light part by a couple of Pixels.
Screen Shot 2019-01-11 at 3.23.50 PM.pngScreen Shot 2019-01-11 at 3.24.38 PM.png