What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to make text look printed with some bleeding

pdxphotoshopper

Hey all. First post here.

Top word is original
Bottom word is my attempt.

How do I mimic the bleeding effect of the original? My attempt captures some of the warblyness but doesn't quite get there. Any tips?

thanks!

Screen Shot 2021-11-10 at 1.52.00 PM.png

JeffK

Guru
I don't know if this is exactly what you want but...

Create a document and set some type on its own layer:

1636595502683.png

Rasterize the type layer and create a duplicate layer of the type:

1636595586472.png

Turn the top layer into a smart object. Then add some gaussian blur:

1636595886102.png

With the top layer active, go to Filter - Noise and add noise. Also check the Gaussian Blur radio button at bottom:

1636596105242.png

Final effect:

vintage tyep.jpg

*EDIT - You can also play with the opacity of the top layer to soften the effect:

vintage type soften.jpg

Since the top layer is a smart object, you can go back in and change the settings to play with the effects - less blurry, more "grungy" with noise, etc.

Hope this helps...others may weigh in...

- Jeff

Last edited:

pdxphotoshopper

Thank you both! JeffK how would you get a less consistent background shading/shadow effect? I see the small blur/shadow around each letter but the original text has almost a whole word kind of shadowy smudgy look.

JeffK

Guru
Thank you both! JeffK how would you get a less consistent background shading/shadow effect? I see the small blur/shadow around each letter but the original text has almost a whole word kind of shadowy smudgy look.
I've been playing with this on and off all afternoon and can't get to exactly what you have. Without an idea of where it came from, what the original looks like, or how you want to use it, it's difficult to come up with a solution.

As close as I could get was setting some type, rasterizing it, and playing with the splatter and ocean ripple filters in the Filter -> Filter Gallery section:

1636683196029.png

Possibly somehone here can also jump in and add an opinion. I'll keep poking around but I think I've reached my limits. :(

JeffK

Guru
You might also want to take a look at this video - a bit complex but may get you closer to where you want to be:

pdxphotoshopper

@JeffK that's above and beyond to spend that much time on it. Thanks so much! I'm going to play with making a cloudy shade rather than shadows based on the text.