What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to make this kind of pattern in Photoshop ?

This can be done with a pattern overlay as well.

Create a document W80px x H100px
Add guidelines
Screen Shot 2022-06-22 at 7.27.11 AM.png

Use the Pen Tool to create a path looking like this...
Screen Shot 2022-06-22 at 7.27.25 AM.png

Right click and fill path with black.
Screen Shot 2022-06-22 at 7.27.45 AM.png

Go to EDIT > DEFINE PATTERN > save

Use pattern overlay in a layer style to add the pattern.

Your sample pattern....
Screen Shot 2022-06-22 at 7.54.41 AM.png

My sample pattern....
Screen Shot 2022-06-22 at 7.54.53 AM.png

Awesome
This can be done with a pattern overlay as well.

Create a document W80px x H100px
Add guidelines
View attachment 130678

Use the Pen Tool to create a path looking like this...
View attachment 130679

Right click and fill path with black.
View attachment 130680

Go to EDIT > DEFINE PATTERN > save

Use pattern overlay in a layer style to add the pattern.

Your sample pattern....
View attachment 130681

My sample pattern....
View attachment 130682
Thanks a ton. BTW I used another method. Used custom shapes, selected the arrow on 100 *100 px canvas and rotated it, and defined it as a pattern. Hers the layered PSD :

Attachments

• bala1.psd
    1.7 MB · Views: 2
Last edited:
@IamSam Also how do you control those transparencies and colors?. Can you please share the layered PSD? For learning purposes? Thank you !!

Here I used your method. Please see the PSD and guide me. Thank you !!
I'm not sure what you are doing with your colors in your PSD file because your color layer is a finished product. Looks like you used my sample pattern from post #3.
Please post results using your own color pattern interacting with the Zig Zag pattern you have created.

Also how do you control those transparencies and colors?
You have been using a pattern fill layer and I have been using a layer style. Both work exactly the same in how the opacity is controlled. So I'm not doing anything different than you are concerning opacity.

My colors are on a single layer set to normal blend mode with the added layer style/pattern overlay.

One thing we are doing differently is that I used "black" on a transparent background to create my pattern.
Screen Shot 2022-06-23 at 11.54.16 PM.png

You used a more "grey" color on a white background for your pattern.
Screen Shot 2022-06-23 at 11.55.47 PM.png

Then you add in a solid color fill adj layer to dampen the grey...
Screen Shot 2022-06-23 at 11.59.24 PM.png

Since you did not provide a final effect, I'm uncertain how your technique will work in the final product.

Attachments

• ZigZagPattern_01.1.psd
    707 KB · Views: 3
I'm not sure what you are doing with your colors in your PSD file because your color layer is a finished product. Looks like you used my sample pattern from post #3.
Please post results using your own color pattern interacting with the Zig Zag pattern you have created.

You have been using a pattern fill layer and I have been using a layer style. Both work exactly the same in how the opacity is controlled. So I'm not doing anything different than you are concerning opacity.

My colors are on a single layer set to normal blend mode with the added layer style/pattern overlay.

One thing we are doing differently is that I used "black" on a transparent background to create my pattern.
View attachment 130720

You used a more "grey" color on a white background for your pattern.
View attachment 130721

Then you add in a solid color fill adj layer to dampen the grey...
View attachment 130722

Since you did not provide a final effect, I'm uncertain how your technique will work in the final product.
Thanks a ton. It helped me a lot. Thank you !!

Back