What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to make this .....

spookymark

I have been trying to figure out how to make this glass ( here . I have found many tutorials on making glass buttons etc but nothing like this.
Also, see the shape of the glass? What would you use to make the shape like this or something simular.
By the way it is the title glass at the top of the page.
Thank you

Welcome to the community spookymark. Hope you enjoy your stay. [excited]

That effect is exactly the same as the method used for the glass button tutorials you've no doubt seen around. The only difference is the shape it's being applied to.

To create that shape, do the following. Then after you've made the shape, simply apply the same steps to it from one of the tutorials you've seen on making glass buttons.

1) Create a rectangular selection the size you want the viewscreen to be.
2) Press 'Q' for the Quick Mask mode. Gaussian blur by 5 pixels.
3) Press 'Ctrl+L' to open Levels. Drag the left and right sliders toward the middle. Watch the mask shape become more sharp around the edges. When the edges are nice and clean looking again, press OK. Then press the 'Q' key again to exit Quick Mask mode.
4) Now add a New Layer to your document, and fill the selection with a Linear gradient, using the colours of your choice. Just make sure the darker colour is at the top.
5) Under the EDIT menu choose Transform/Perspective. Grab one of the bottom corner control points and drag it inward until the shape appears the size you want it. (the angle is about 37 degrees) Press the ENTER key to apply the transform.

Seems like a bit of work, but once you know the routine, it takes less than a minute to do this.

This glass button effect uses the exact same steps/methods to create it as would be used to create the above elongated viewscreen effect.

And this particular glass button effect is very common. No doubt you recognize it from one of the multiple tutorials you've seen out there.

If you need any specific help with the effect just ask. But like i said, the effect is real easy to do. In fact... the elongated viewscreen shape is actually more work to create. :B

As always, great directions Mark, complete with sample image! :}

[stuned]

BTW, welcome aboard, spookymark! :)

Thank you for your promped answer, I will play with it right now.

& thank you all for the board welcome, I will also try to contribute now that I found this place.
Great site by the way, very helpfull.

Mark

P.S. One comment, dont know if it is a bug or done for a reason, when I got the notification of a reply to my post it directed me to another post not mine.
Just an FYI

hmm... ok thx for letting me know that spook, i'll test that out. I don't use that function myself so i never noticed it not working right.

I'll post any results from my tests. :perfect:

Ok, I have one thing to say, this forum is the first one where I posted a question on Photoshop that someone has answered to me. Thank you. Also following every step that "theKeeper" suggested worked perfectly & you were right, now that I have done it once I did it about three more times & each time is alot faster.
Thank you.

Hey well that's excellent news! :perfect:

Sad to hear your past PS forum exploits have been disappointing... but glad to hear you're happy with our gang here. Makes us all feel real good i'm sure... right gang?! :rofl: [honesty]

B7

i sent you a pm on this "the keeper"... im getting a little confused on what i should do next. also can u give me a tute that I will understand the "glass look"?

oh yeh GREAT SITE.. !! im glad i found it...:)

Welcome to the forum OpTimus! :) Enjoy!!!

OpTimus... looking good! ;)

My suggestion... a black to white gradient, overlay blend mode, set to 50%, on the lower half of the picture portion, gives one more of an impression of "glass". ;)

whoaa, very nice indeed.. :) well see, i used that gradient b/c it matches my background gradient picture for where my links are. i should just upload where im at on my html page...let me me do that..:) but that looks great...k here we go, heres my setup so far on the site.

http://www.enhance-gaming.com/test.html

well, i thought it matched..lol uhhmm man ive been on my banner and menu for 4 days now..lol but the rest of my sites were made in 3 to 4 days im taking my time on this one..;) let me see if i can match that gradient..it will be a mericle if i do..lol

if you have any suggestion on anything....plz say... thx alot guys

Back