What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to open camera raw at any time in photoshop cs6?

Chunmon

Camera: Sony a7II
File: Extra fine jpeg
Computer: Win 10 Home 64b.
Photoshop: cs6

Currently, jpeg file opens into camera raw automatically if you want to use camera raw.

What I would like have:
Open camera raw at any time during the image editing of jpeg file.

Is this possible and how to set the camera raw in photoshop cs6 ?

Thank you.
Chunmon

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Hello and welcome to PSG.

Try this.....
Screen Shot 2018-01-04 at 11.29.44 PM.png

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
There is no such an option as Camera Raw Filter... under Filter in the Photoshop CS6 on my PC.
How to set it that it will show under the Filter options?
Sorry, upon further investigation, Photoshop cs6 doesn't have Filter>Camera Raw Filter, that's only in Photoshop cc versions.

Your only option is to use Bridge or set your Ps preferences to open in ACR. You will not be able to access ACR at any time during image editing.

thebestcpu

Guru
I wanted to add my thoughts here as there are two potential ways (one may not work) to access the Camera Raw editor from within CS6

This first one will work yet may not meet your needs.

Bring your JPEG in through ACR (as you indicated you did) and before jumping into PS, hold down the Shift Key and the button labled "Open Image" will change to "Open Object". When clicking that button in this mode, a Layer will open in PS that is a Smart Object. If you double click on the thumbnail of that image it will jump back to ACR for further editing. You can do this at any point when editing in PS yet only for this Layer you brought in from ACR.

The second approach I have not tried out for a long time and is a script that was written by Dr Brown in the days of CS6. Given that scripts often have issues when new OSes are introduced, I don't give this high probability yet he wrote this script so that in CS6, you could take any Layer and access the ACR editing tools. Here is the link to this script (he no longer supports it). Just wanted all the options on the table. After the link is the cut and paste of the specific script to which I am referring:

http://www.russellbrown.com/scripts_archive.html

Screen Shot 2018-01-05 at 3.54.52 PM.png

Hope this is of some use

John Wheeler

Chunmon

Sorry, upon further investigation, Photoshop cs6 doesn't have Filter>Camera Raw Filter, that's only in Photoshop cc versions.

Your only option is to use Bridge or set your Ps preferences to open in ACR. You will not be able to access ACR at any time during image editing.
Thank you for trying to help. I'll utilize the bridge.
Thank you again.
Chunmon

Chunmon

I wanted to add my thoughts here as there are two potential ways (one may not work) to access the Camera Raw editor from within CS6

This first one will work yet may not meet your needs.

Bring your JPEG in through ACR (as you indicated you did) and before jumping into PS, hold down the Shift Key and the button labled "Open Image" will change to "Open Object". When clicking that button in this mode, a Layer will open in PS that is a Smart Object. If you double click on the thumbnail of that image it will jump back to ACR for further editing. You can do this at any point when editing in PS yet only for this Layer you brought in from ACR.

The second approach I have not tried out for a long time and is a script that was written by Dr Brown in the days of CS6. Given that scripts often have issues when new OSes are introduced, I don't give this high probability yet he wrote this script so that in CS6, you could take any Layer and access the ACR editing tools. Here is the link to this script (he no longer supports it). Just wanted all the options on the table. After the link is the cut and paste of the specific script to which I am referring:

http://www.russellbrown.com/scripts_archive.html

View attachment 82437

Hope this is of some use

John Wheeler
Thank you very much for such a detailed information.
I'll try Dr. Brown's script but have update my Camera Raw first. Will come back to report the result one way or the other.
Thank you again.
Chunmon

Chunmon

To Mr. John Wheeler

Have tried Dr. Brown's script. Have trouble with the Camera Raw Plugin on my PC`. Will temporarily stick with the first method you have suggested, that is, the shift key and smart object. I have tried many time and found it works fine.

Thank you.
Chunmon