What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to put margins on a pattern?

Daniel Pod

Hello Everyone, I'm trying to use a pattern (a card for a game of my company) to fill an A3 file to print, but i need it to have margins, and i need the pattern to fill the space inside the margins, how can i do that? When i use the fill function it fills the whole file.

Hello again.

Something like this?
This is A4.............same technique for A3.
Screen Shot 2024-02-17 at 10.50.29 PM.png

If so, this is just a layer mask on the pattern defining a margin.
Screen Shot 2024-02-17 at 10.51.44 PM.png

Different take..... A3 with rounded edges.
Screen Shot 2024-02-17 at 11.08.37 PM.png
Screen Shot 2024-02-17 at 11.08.47 PM.png

There is a better way by using synced or linked smart objects that can quickly be edited in the time it takes to simply drag and drop a new pattern.
I don't know your current experience with Ps, so this is a brief description. If you need more info, let me know.

This option hides part of the pattern, and that is a nono. I need to create a pattern that fits into the margins, so when we print it there is no lost part of the pattern. The pattern is made with the cards of the game, its not for the back of a card, but for printing the game parts. Thank you anyway.

I need to create a pattern that fits into the margins, so when we print it there is no lost part of the pattern.
OK.........it's just the opposite on the layer mask!

Select the margins...
Screen Shot 2024-02-18 at 3.17.04 PM.png
Screen Shot 2024-02-18 at 3.17.15 PM.png

If this is STILL not what your looking for, PLEASE post a sample! Thanks!

I think the OP means to fill the internal space with the pattern, leaving a margin at the edge. But the margin cannot be a layer mask because the mask hides part of the pattern. None of the pattern can be hidden.

What about this method?
  • Create a file of the appropriate size.
  • Fill the base layer entirely with the color of your margin.
  • Create a new layer above that and fill it with your pattern. It sounds like you are using Edit>Fill>Pattern for this. It will fill the layer all the way to the edge.
  • Now shrink your pattern layer using Edit>Transform>Scale. Shrink it down to reveal whatever size margin you wish. None of the pattern will be hidden, but it will be x% smaller than when you initially created it.
If necessary, hold down the Shift key while you are shrinking the pattern in order to preserve the horizontal and vertical proportions.

Even more direct:
  • Fill your base layer with the color of the margin. Let's say red.
  • On a new layer, use the rectangular marquee tool to create a selection, leaving an appropriate margin.
  • Now go to Edit>Fill>Pattern. The pattern will only fill within the confines of your selection.

1708295394313.png

Back