What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to reduce the size of a barcode without blur?

phtshp

I have barcode software that produces labels in .png format. Here's an example:

barcode100%.png

I open the barcodes in Photoshop in order to prepare them for use on product labels in Illustrator.

What mode should I set the images to Photoshop? Initially they are: Indexed Color, 8 Bits/Channel

Sometimes I need to reduce the barcodes down to 80%. Should I do this in Photoshop or in Illustrator? The bars on the barcode must not "blur" otherwise they won't scan properly on the product.

Surely the barcode software you have can facilitate your reduction request?

you should go to image size and do percentage

and select resample using bicubic sharper or nearest neighbour

Surely the barcode software you have can facilitate your reduction request?

In designing packaging labels or related items, sometimes we have to include the barcode on the actual FA art (at the correct size needed) which are the ones used for prep in printing. Depending what barcode software was used, it may not have the controls for doing accurate sizing. Hence the need for proper handling in the layout design application.

A service printing bureau can also do this for you. But , to be on the safe side, I'd prefer doing it the way I want for fear the printers botch it up. :cheesygrin:

In designing packaging labels or related items, sometimes we have to include the barcode on the actual FA art (at the correct size needed) which are the ones used for prep in printing. Depending what barcode software was used, it may not have the controls for doing accurate sizing. Hence the need for proper handling in the layout design application.

In that case OP go with what H explained.

you should go to image size and do percentage

and select resample using bicubic sharper or nearest neighbour

Got it. Resample with "Bicubic" or "Nearest neighbour". NOT "Bilinear".

What about the image mode? Can I leave it as "Indexed Color" or should I change it to CMYK?

I'm not versed how your printers do things in your area but here I'd convert to CMYK for inclusion of image in the layout. But I'd give the printer an indexed color copy of the barcode in case he need it.

Or, if the barcode is oriented normally, not at some odd angle, resize it by your favorite method (eg, bicubic automatic) and then just threshold the result. This will give you very sharp, maximum contrast edges.

T

i would keep it indexed color or rgb unless you plan on doing a levels adjustment as well as converting it to cmyk will make it go black and not a rich black so may print out grayish. unless your barcode printer is designed to print cmyk which I doubt because it is black and not color.

best thing to do is print it out with different modes you may notice a difference or you probably wont as long as it looks clean on the final printout then you dont need to add extra steps to your work if you dont have to.

Time is money... more time less profit lol....

Another option would be to convert it to bitmap mode. It would eliminate the chance of blurring. You will have to convert to grayscale first and then convert to bitmap.

As far as resizing goes, I would make sure Resample Image is not checked in the Image Size dialogue box, type in the desired dimensions and let the resolution fall where it may. You could also just scale it in Illustrator rather than in Photoshop.

Back