What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to Render an Image into a Graphic (Example Attached)

Alienontherun

Hi

I would like to know if it is possible to render a picture into a graphic like the one in the pic attached using PhotoShop or any other image editing tool, and How-To.

The image in question is the cat face.

Thank you all in advance.

DSCF0042.JPG

polarwoc

Guru
Hi and welcome to the forum!

I will show you how I approached this matter using "Threshold Adjustment Layer" below:

This is the image I started with.
1.png

I cut out the face from the body, making sure I have the whiskers on the Right side of the subject's face (I used Quick Mask tool in conjunction with Quick Selection tool for this) like so:
2.png

Then, I applied Threshold Adjustment Layer, but found that the lower part of the feline's face is almost all white, lacking in a contrasting colour, as follows:
3.png
You can adjust the "Threshold Level" slider to suit, but it either works for the top half or for bottom half - so I decided to do both and use what I want from both, so I used two Threshold Adjustment Layers with mask on the bottom layer as follows:
4.png

Then add another Threshold Adjustment Layer on top and set the Threshold Level to suit. This is what I achieved:

5.png

Here is my finished project:
1734-After-ezgif-7-26c6eb08fa23.jpg
Finally, you could use this link to get more information on how to use Dodge and Burn to extract more detail. Please share your results if you wish.

Last edited: