What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to reproduce this blur effect?

CelineD

Hi everyone,

I am trying to reproduce the white blur effect under the logo of the below picture (with the kangaroo).

So far, I have been trying by creating a coloured shape, transforming it to a smart object and then applying gaussian blur but it does not look as good as on the example? The second photo shows what I have done.

Is it the best way to do this or is there a better technic?

Many thanks for your help!

joey_in_blanket.jpg

Exampleblur.jpg

Eggy

Retired Moderator
Keep in mind that the background (in the kangaroo picture) has been blurred and the white spot was a part of that background.
Just placing a blurred blob in your picture will look odd because it isn't there in a natural way.
I would suggest to cut out the bird and stem and replace the background with one that resembles most with what you have in mind.
Find even a sharp one and blur it until it fits.

Eggy

Retired Moderator
A quick and dirty example

Exampleblur.jpg

Also keep in mind that, unless it serves a purpose, wildlife should never be photographed caged (for that matter not even be in a cage)...

CelineD

Thanks, this is a black cockatoo sanctuary. Some of the birds cannot be released due to injuries (wing injuries etc). The black cockatoos who can be released are then taken care of until they are physically fit to be released. I blur some backgrounds before posting but sometimes, depending how far the cockatoo and I are situated, there is still some details in the background due to the lens I use. My goal is to showcase the centre and the amazing work done to help with the conservation of the black cockatoos.

To get back to my question, I have another example. Sorry, I am very obsessed with this effect! Was this one done the same way? Rand.png

Eggy

Retired Moderator
Yes it was.
On top of the blurred background the man's image (in png of cutout) was placed, a layer mask added and the left, right and bottom part slightly brushed away with a soft brush.

Eggy

Retired Moderator
That looks nice.
And you see, PS is all about doing it, again and again...

CelineD

Thank you. Sometimes I find it hard to work things out by myself. Always good to get some help to be pointed in the right direction :)

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Hello and welcome to the forum. Great work. I love Cockys especially the Yellow Tailed Black Cockatoo. Beautiful birds.

The one thing I think you may be interested in would be the soft Bokeh effect. It's usually associated with low light conditions but is used often in the daytime images. Bokeh can easily be simulated with Ps.