What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to tell if photo has been manipulated

photonovice

Hi,

I am of course a novice at the inner workings of photoshop. We were wondering if there is a way to tell if a digital photo has been manipulated? At what level can you tell? Can we look at a JPEG emailed and be able to read source to see if photoshop was used? Does photoshop leave a trail such as coding?

thanks
novice

One of the ways to tell is to look at levels/curves, if it isn't a solid wave form and has verticle disruptions then it has been edited in a program -- but having been edited doesn't mean it has been faked.
edited.jpg
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k318/7hunters/edited.jpg

Also a person can take a photo of a photo which would rule out this method. Some photos have exif data google, "viewing exif data."

Just a guess here - people are always asking me, "is this photo of this chick real?" *groans.....

Back