What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How was this effect done?

Troman

I like the "painting" effect of this picture: Elena Shumilova - Chemistry

It looks more like a clean picture, than a photo. I assume it's mainly photoshop.

How was this effect done? Can anyone tell me how this effect/technique is called or explain the process or link to a tutorial or give more examples?
It's probably simple, but I'm not sure how to reproduce it.

v2.jpg

In photography you set the focus on the main object, the old man with the owl. Of course you need decent equipment for that and a good photography knowledge. In the link and below the picture you see the equipment and setting used by the artist.

Of course this 'depth of field' effect can be recreated in PS.
Have a look here how this is done: https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=photoshop+focus+effect

If you're in photography here's the very, very, very technical explanation...:eek:

Last edited:
In photography you set the focus on the main object, the old man with the owl. Of course you need decent equipment for that and a good photography knowledge. In the link and below the picture you see the equipment and setting used by the artist.

Of course this effect can be recreated in PS.
Have a look here how this is done: https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=photoshop+focus+effect
I saw the equipment used, it's decent of course, but the equipment alone doesn't create this 'painting' effect, I'm sure it was created in Photoshop.
And it's not just the bokeh, I've taken many photos with good bokeh, but it's more than just bokeh. I suspect this picture has a lot of dodging and burning and probably something else, I don't know what exactly.

I saw the equipment used, it's decent of course, but the equipment alone doesn't create this 'painting' effect.

Honestly I don't see a 'painting' effect, at the most a very good lighting and some HDR...

This comes closer to what I mean. I'm sure its not HDR though. This photographer doesn't use it, it's probably some other post-processing.

Maybe the Camera Raw Filter was used in 'sharpening'.

You could contact the artist but since she sells her tutorials I doubt she will divulge her technique for free...

I'm not sure either what you mean but it can be this one? I exaggerated it using the same picture to see if it is what you're looking for.

v2f.jpg

I'm not sure either what you mean but it can be this one?
It's hard to describe, because I don't know what exactly was done to the picture, it's the overall feeling. But it is especially noticeable on the face. It has a flat but contrasty "plastic" feeling to it. The rest is probably dodging and burning here and there.

I exaggerated it using the same picture to see if it is what you're looking for.
It's hard to tell, because you applied it to the same picture. Unlike the original one, yours seems to be blurry. But I like the effect, what is it? Some kind of a low-pass filter?

I saw a tutorial of an artist that does similar post-processing as the owner of the original picture. She makes faces brighter, then she applies Glamour Glow (from Nik Collection) and then a high-pass filter and does some additional dodging and burning and the effect is somewhat close to the one on the original picture, but still not exactly the same.

As you say, its usually a combination of effects, that's why it's hard to know exactly what you want. For a clean picture/drawing effect as you said, dodge and burn it's effective and also use the one I show you in the last post. The one I used is from camera raw filter "details" "luminance" i don't know if its called that in English (mine is Spanish XD)

Cheers!

Back