What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How would I go about...

NoVaCa!nE

I've recently begun work on a website with my friend, and we're currently finishing up the main banner. All that we still need is a symbol to place on our banner, and I have a good idea of what I'd like that symbol to look like.

What I'd like to do is make something similar to this --> http://www.jediempireclan.homestead.com/files/how.jpg . I have no idea where to start, and ANY help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
NoVaCa!nE

P.S. It may also help you to know that I'm trying to make the exact same look as that (from scratch) only with the letters 'X' and 'G' as oppose to 'P' and 'G'.

Hi NoVaCa!nE and welcome to the board :perfect:

It's somehow possible to do it, although it will never look exactly the same, but do we really want that? ;)

Here's a quick one I did to show you what's possible, not to show you a close copy, since I didn't have the time for that.

Oooh, nice, :D. I don't want an exact duplicate, either. I'm really just wondering how you'd go about making the text look 3D like that and giving it that shaded effect. I'm assuming that you can just change the perspective to give it that "going off into the distance" look? Oh, and I also would like to know what text you used, ;).

Thanks in advance!

Cheers,
NoVaCa!nE

Not all that difficult.

First you find yourself a nice font.
You type the letters you need on one or more layers.
After you're done, you rasterize the layer(s); Layer/rasterize/type
If you have more than one layer, then you have to merge them to make it one layer (shortcuts and menu items can be found under the layer menu item).
After you're done you apply filter/stylize/emboss (I used settings 108,8,58) to give the letters a bevel.

Now the trick.

First you duplicate the text layer.
With the move tool selected you move the text one pixel either up/down and/or left/right using the arrow keys. When you're done doing that, you duplicate this layer and you repeat the same process. After a while you will see the 3D effect.

In the end you will have about 10-15 layers. Make sure that you merge all your text layers, except the one that contains the visible flat area of the 3D text (coloured blue in my example).
You now have 2 layers; one with the 3D effect (red in my example) and one that comes on top (blue).
Now select one layer and link the other one. Then go to edit/transform/distort... and start pulling the text in the right directions. The rest is all fine tuning, maybe add a Bevel/Emboss layer style to the top layer or slightly smoothen the 3D effect layer (red).

Add a layerstyle to the 3D effect layer (red) by adding the layer style called outher glow.

Btw, you came at the right moment. I just finished a 3D text today, so it was all fresh in my memory;

http://www.photoshopgurus.info/forum/viewtopic.php?p=26203#26203

Ah, thanks a lot for all the help! What text was that you used for the example you showed me? The guy I'm making the site with really wants to use it, ;).

Cheers,
NoVaCa!nE.

Back