What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Huge file increase

fbugeja

Hi All! My first post!

Saving a layer as a Smart Object is creating huge file sizes, often doubling the file size to over 1GB, something I have just noticed. I have also noticed that it takes PS time to convert the layer to a smart object.

FYI I crop my images to A4 size 297mm x 210mm at 300dpi for display on my iPad. Is 300dpi too high?

fbugeja

HI @fbugeja
Smart Objects include a flattened Layer of the contents of the Smart Object as well as the original contents of the Smart Object so it can add quite a bit of file size.

You did not mention your iPad model yet recent versions are in the 266 ppi going from memory. If you are sending more pixels that what the iPad contains, the display algorithms will compensate by downsizing the image.

Other forum members may provide additional perspectives.
John Wheeler

Hi John

Thx for your quick response!

I am using Generation 7 iPad - one year old. The viewing of files on my iPad is not an issue. They show up beautifully.

I am coming to the conclusion that, as you have noted, saving a layer as a smart object / saving for smart filters does significantly increase file size and that saving at 300dpi is not really necessary. I opened and processed an image at 240dpi and noticed a significantly smaller file size compared to the same file processed and saved at 300dpi. Also, I am coming to the conclusion that there is no real need to save the layer as a smart object since I initially crop to A4 size and stick to that size, negating the advantage of smart objects of being able to resize back to the original size without loss of quality if you had resized that image. My PS CC that I use on my iMac is a few years old so updating may lead to more efficient saving of files.

Again, thanks from the Land Downunder!

Frank

Back