What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I can't find a tool I used to use to extend the edges

djaef

Hi all. Just found this place.
I am doing a tute for a beginners Photoshop class at my Photography College and I am looking for a technique I used a few years ago, which I can't find now.
Basically, it was a way of extending the canvas size using the edge information of the image. The reason I am looking for it now is that I imagine it'd be a good way of creating a gallery wrap section for a canvas print, taking the edge detail and reproducing it. If you are not sure what I mean, have a look at this image on my blog. It's the technique I'm talking about. I have access to CS3 or CS4.

SCTRWD

Power User
Looks like you r talking about Filter->Other->Offset with Repeat Edge Pixels option set.

djaef

No, that's not it. It didn't offset the image for a start. It just took the very edge detail and extended the canvas with it. Thanks for trying though...

Last edited:

SCTRWD

Power User
Shure thing, you start by first extending canvas to the right side, then offseting the image the same distance to the right.

After that you extend canvas to the left side, and then offset the image the same distance to the left.

And you get the very same effect you wanted.

djaef

OK, thanks. I could also extend the canvas in my particular case and clone the edges out. But it's still not the way I did it a few years back. It was a very automated, and basically one step process. I seem to remember just choosing how many pixels to extend it out. There was certainly no stuffing around needed. Looks like it's just going to be one of those CS3 mysteries...

Cheers

G

kcannon

I'm trying to accomplish the same thing, ie automatically extending the edge pixels to the sides of an extended canvas. Did you ever work this one out?

Kelly