What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Specific i have a problem with painting over my sketch

RobertsDigital

Guys I just finished making a sketch and then created a new layer then I brought the new layer under the sketch layer to begin painting but the brush keeps giving me some uneven dirty strokes. What am I doing wrong? Im new to photoshop and this is frustrating. I uploaded the video on youtube. The link is below.

How do i get the brush to paint normally?
what do I do?

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Can you upload the exact PSD file that you used in the video?

What version of Ps are you using?

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Have you reset the tool?

Have you reset Ps prefs?

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Here's the problem.

It's your first layer.
Screen Shot 2019-07-16 at 5.09.16 PM.png

When you paint under it, of course you're going to see the white areas that are left over.
Screen Shot 2019-07-16 at 5.09.35 PM.png

You need to remove all the white from the first layer.

RobertsDigital

How do I remove it please?
I tried to copy the sketch to ms paint and saved it as jpg and then placed it back to photoshop and then put a new layer beneath it but this time the brush tool was refusing to paint

Last edited:

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
OK..........first rule is that you always sketch on a transparent layer. I'm not sure how you got the white background or why/how you were erasing it. You should never use the erasure tool for anything.

I personally would redo the sketch. Place a transparent layer over your subject and trace. Leave the trace layer transparent.

But if you you're not interested in that, you could use SELECT>COLOR RANGE and select the white.Upon closing (OK) color range, you will have a selection, then hit delete. Then Cmd/Cntrl + D to deselect. This will give you pour results though because you never can get rid of all the white. Example:
Screen Shot 2019-07-16 at 5.23.52 PM.png

RobertsDigital

I have another question...I want to paint over this drawing. Its in Jpg. I also have a bitmap version. I want the paint to appear transparent while the drawing shows beneath. Is that possible?

mf.jpg

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
You said I should never use the eraser tool.
Can I use white paint instead?
It all depends on what your referring to. You can use white and black on a layer mask.

If your sketching on a transparent layer, then yes you can use the Erasure Tool to fix mistakes.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I have another question...I want to paint over this drawing. Its in Jpg. I also have a bitmap version. I want the paint to appear transparent while the drawing shows beneath. Is that possible?
Yes. Create a new layer above the drawing layer. Set the blending mode of the new layer you're painting on to "Darken" or "Multiply". Test which one produces the best color results for your needs.
Screen Shot 2019-07-16 at 5.50.59 PM.png

RobertsDigital

Sam thanks for the hint

However I was able to figure everything out with the Youtube link below

Now I'm back on track again
Thanks