What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I Have an Idea

Red Rooster

Hi guys I come back yet again and this time with an idea?(well actually its a friends idea). Well do any of you
have Desktop X? and if you do wouldn't it be cool if you had a widget or desktop that look liked the time of day?(ie if it were morning your desktop would look like the sun was coming up with a few stars in the background, or if it were sundown it would look like the sun was setting ,and if it were night the desktop
would have the moon out and stars.) So do you guys kind of get an idea. I am trying to figure out how to
create something like that, but if someone knew how to do that, it would really help.

thanks

This won't solve your problem with Desktop X but on Windows you have the "active Desktop" feature which allows you to set a website as your Desktop "background". What I did at some point was just to embed a clock made in Flash in a page that I set as a start page for the active desktop. Now what you can do in Flash is to have an ActionScript that reads the time of day (set the movie to play on a continuous loop for a five minute duration so that it's not processing intensive) and makes certain layers visible depending on the time of day.

Something like that should do the trick.

A simple possibility would be to take a 3D program, create your scene, move your sun to reflect the passage through the day and render however many images you wanted. Place all your images into a folder and in the Desktop pref pane, select the folder and choose to change image every hour or however rapidly you chose to have the image cycled. Actually synchronizing the effect would be dependant upon choosing your beginning image whenever you started the cycle during the day.

The benefit of such a system is that it wouldn't use many resources to change the desktop image periodically.

For the moment there is an interesting Widget called Sunlit Earth...

http://www.download.com/Sunlit-Earth-Widget/3000-11125_4-10406320.html

Thanks guys very much...if you run into anything that has to do with this or you have another idea LET ME KNOW

thanks again

Back