What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I might be an idiot...

Barrettathome

ok so I just got cs5... I know right... Anyway everytime I duplicate a layer that has a style to it the drop down for the style selection is open. Is there anyway I can add a style to a layer without having the style drop down automatically open up??? Advice would be much appreciated.

I think you can't add layer style without beeing it drop down. But you can dublicate closet layer style view. Just close layer style which you want to dublicate.

Yea I was afraid of that. My problem is once I get rolling I don't even relaize it and at times im dulplicating 5+ layers. Before you know it im strolling through my layers trying to get to a group and theres so many layer effects that its difficult to get to where I need to be in a timely fashion. I guess I just need to take the extra time to close them than take the time to scroll through them all. Thanks

Hi Barrettathome

SeniorS is right, you can't have a layer, whit layer styles applied, and whit out the drop down menu, but you can "make/convert" your layer to an smart object, and once you finished whit the layer styles on that particular layer, then you can rasterize it.

That way you won't have the drop dawn menu visible, but, the down side of it will be, that if you need to change any features on your layer later on, you will have to work whit it, in a separated document, as smart objects will work as sub documents.

Hope this helps

* Update.

Misread you thread, if working whit "CS5" there's an arrow head on the far right side of your layer styles palette netx to the "FX", just click it and it will hide or minimize your layer styles palette options

Last edited:
What they said, I think, lol. I also have CS5, so I bring up the styles panel, select one, collapse the panel, duplicate layer. Styles panel does not open automatically with layer duplication. Or it shouldn't. If that's what you mean, and I'm not sure that is, then I have no idea.

Are you liking CS5? I went directly from PS6 to CS5. I'm sure I would have been just as pleased with earlier version, but it sure is a change from 6.

:mrgreen: BTW, I like the Arrowhead Web Page.

Last edited:
Thanks all, yea im loving cs5. I went from cs2 to cs5 and I have to say what a difference. Lol About the drop down thing I was just wondering if there was an option to where I could just turn off the drop down all together or something like that. I think I just need to get in a habit of closing my layer styles after I apply them.

Back