What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I need a negative...

chillman

I have a digital camera and want to get a poster size print done. The places that I talk to though, say that they need a negative. Can I invert the image in Photoshop and print on a transparency? Does anyone have any suggestions? Help please. \:]

Rantin Al

Guru
They need the physical film negative to process, not just an inverted image.
Only suggestion is to try another print shop.
Also check on the resolution required for a poster sized print, scaling up a digital camera file may leave you a bit disappointed in the quality.

Al.

chillman

My camera defaults to 330 DPI. Kodak says that they can process it, but I want to make adjustments to it. That usualy puts me WAAAAAYYYYY above the e mail size limit. Kinko's and Copy Max said that they can do it, but the cost is between 35 and 40 $$ US. }:\

G

chillman said:
My camera defaults to 330 DPI. Kodak says that they can process it, but I want to make adjustments to it. That usualy puts me WAAAAAYYYYY above the e mail size limit.
I don't understand, why is that? Do you send them the PSD file or a TIFF with layers, what causes the format to be so high, what format do you use?

Sheba

Howdy,

We send digital images for posters to be printed all the time on as a part of our photography business. A good quality poster on photo paper is going to cost you, I'm afraid.

I usually keep my business sources a secret once I've found one, ;) but I'll share this with you since I'm new here and I can tell I will learn a lot at this forum. :D

www.jumbogiant.com is an amazing poster printing company. They only take jpegs and they can be up to 20meg files. Their prices probably run the same as the other printing companies you've looked at like kinko's, so this might not interest you. But you wouldn't be sad with the end result.

chillman

Elysian said:
chillman said:
My camera defaults to 330 DPI. Kodak says that they can process it, but I want to make adjustments to it. That usualy puts me WAAAAAYYYYY above the e mail size limit.
I don't understand, why is that? Do you send them the PSD file or a TIFF with layers, what causes the format to be so high, what format do you use?

I usually save in a jpeg format. I am not sure why they are so large. Maybe I can tweak it some.

Sheba,
Wow. I checked out the site, and I'll give 'em a try. If they can do what they promise, sounds like what I am looking for. Thanks for the 411. I'll keep it on the QT for ya. We all gotta make money right? Thanks again!

Lynny

Depending on how big you want it.
Another option is to join cafepress.com
It's a place you can make items to sell, you start with a base price, which for posters was pretty reasonable, and add a profit margin. I just added a 50cent profit, and buy the poster myself. Worth a look.