What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I need suggestion on how to divide an image into multiple files

zzzero

I have multiples PSD files (4000px wide x 24000 px tall) that I need to divide evenly into 6 segments (4000 x 4000 each) and save each segment into its own jpg. I have set guides for that already.

Right now I am doing the following:

1. Flatten the image
2. Crop each segment by snapping to the guides onto its own.
3. save the segment as a jpg
4. go back into history
5. crop another segment, repeat 3, repeat 4 until i do the process 6 times

I am sure this is a highly inefficient way to do it. And I have upwards of 60 PSD files to do. I tried to apply slices by guides, then save for web, however apparently there is a limit on save for web size. (I want to retain the 4000px width of each segment for publishing)

What I think I need is a script or batch process. Since all the files are set up in the same way (4000x24000 need to be divided evenly into six) I am sure there must be a simple way to do it. I am not very proficient in with CS5 and pls pardon me for asking this question (I am sure it's very simple to experienced users)

Can someone suggest a step-by-step guide on the best way to batch process this? Thanks a lot
example.jpg

Have you even tried Save For Web despite the 'apparent' limit?

I've tried saving an example file as per your description with CS5, and although you do get a 'Warning' dialog and the 'Image Size' in the SFW dialog window defaults to its upper limit of 8192px it saves out to six files each at 4000px square.

Try it and see.

Regards.
MrToM.

Have you even tried Save For Web despite the 'apparent' limit?

I've tried saving an example file as per your description with CS5, and although you do get a 'Warning' dialog and the 'Image Size' in the SFW dialog window defaults to its upper limit of 8192px it saves out to six files each at 4000px square.

Try it and see.

Regards.
MrToM.

I did try, but the screen keeps saying the upper limit is 1365 wide x 8190px (wonder if it took the height as the max , because it is so similar to your 8192) high and defaults my value to such. I proceeded regardless and check the files, they are indeed only 1365 wide each. still no solution

Here is a general purpose script to split a document into equal parts, it can save all the parts in a folder off the original files folder called filechop.
FileChop.jpg

Attachments

• File Chop.zip
    1.8 KB · Views: 3
A script is a much better solution but just to prove you shouldn't always believe what PS tells you and that my solution works...

Regards.
MrToM.

wow, you are amazing mr tom, made a video just for me? never had anyone try to help like that. hugely appreciated!!

...wow, you are amazing mr tom, made a video just for me?...
Its for the benefit of all members, just in case they have no idea how to use a script, which, by the way, Is still the easiest and better solution.

Regards.
MrToM.

Back