What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I need to get the ''Spartacus Effect'' on my pictures!

Renegader800

I take pictures of MMA and combat sports. I would love to know how to go about getting this effect on my images. The shadows, grainy HD look, shine, debth, etc... I have seen this effect on many occasions but do not know how to do it in Photoshop.

I am talking about the effect on the people... not background.

Thanks!

spartacus-image-1.jpg

My guess on one of the techniques used to get this effect is a hi pass (with a high radius) layer using overlay/softlight/hardlight blending mode. from the looks of these pictures there is probably some balancing of the tonal values (opening dark shadows ect.) and who knows what else. take a peek at my result.
spart.jpgtake not that i have the hi pass layer set to overlay. if you are not familiar where to find hipass, it is located in Filter/Other. You may also get a similar result using an unsharp mask with a high radius and amount. i hope this helps!

Finally a thread the ladys can get into!;)

You can download free actions called

The 300 Effect
Dragon Effect

That will do it for you you just have to fade the opacity etc.

Or Learn this yourself it is not that hard especially if you have lightroom but here is A PS quick basic guide to get you started nothing is exact as every picture is different.

Duplicate your image and set to blending mode to multiply

add a black and white adjustment layer and set the blending mode to luminosity and adjust slider

add a vibrance adjustment layer

merge layers together duplicate run a high pass filter or unsharp mask over it

add a new layer fill with 50% grey set that to soft light and then paint in black or white around the image for a dodge and burn effect with a low opacity brush.

add some kind of lighting adjustment layer and contrast it more and you should be getting close and dont possibley need to use all these steps just have a play and change layer opacities etc.

Back