What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I'd Like Some Help Finding Scratched Backgrounds

Moviefan2k4

Hey, all.

I've been trying to add scratch and tear effects to some of my logo designs, and due to the original resolution of the starting image some of my path attempts haven't turned out exactly right. I searched Google Images for resources but couldn't find anything, so I thought asking here would be a good place to start. Here's a low-quality sample of the one resource I do have, but at the moment its not much help.

Blue Scratches Preview.jpg

A few to get you started...

30 day free trial and up to 10 backgrounds

Royalty free stock backgrounds

Some free, some free with trial

Thanks, but I'm on a pretty tight budget and would rather not add any more financial pressures to my list. I was hoping some folks around here might just have some sample images they'd be willing to share.

Thanks, but I'm on a pretty tight budget and would rather not add any more financial pressures to my list. I was hoping some folks around here might just have some sample images they'd be willing to share.
Free is too expensive? :thinking:

There's a guy named Eric Matyas who posts about once a month to this site. He compiles a free library of sounds and textures. The textures are mostly things like wood, stone, metal, etc., but possibly some of them might work for you.

Free is too expensive? :thinking:
They want free trials for most of that stuff, and in a lot of cases, they want you to provide some kind of financial info so they can charge you later for a subscription. I'm not looking for that kind of thing.

Hi @Moviefan2k4
It's unclear to me exactly what you want and what size or resolution, color etc.

Here is one example of an 8.5 x 11 paper at 300 dpi using Photoshop generative fill followed by Topaz AI sharpening and noise reduction. One can choose from 3 examples or add to the generative file description of what you want. The straight-out-of-Photoshop version was a bit soft, yet it could also be sharpened up in Photoshop.

So are you looking for a free online repository of many examples of scratches or do you have some software tools that will help in the process.

I hope this example helps
John Wheeler

Scratches-with-generative-fille.jpg

That's a good start - thank you very much. I don't use any other image software, just Photoshop. But the bigger the sample I have to start with, the better my chances are at creating detailed paths from channels and such. Once again, I appreciate everyone's help; its truly appreciated.

You’re welcome @Moviefan2k4
It may be just me and I am sure it’s clear in your mind what you want yet it is not clear to me. Eg bugger in number of pixels for whole image or bigger wider scratches etc. you mention use of channels (in the channels panel?). And paths which are associated with the paths panel? Do you have an example or a sample of the desired end result of what you want? If you just need more examples/“samples”. You could create as many as you want with generative fill in Photoshop. More than willing to help with a better roadmap yet “That’s a good start” does not help me help you

If course it could just be me as well.
John Wheeler

You’re welcome @Moviefan2k4
It may be just me and I am sure it’s clear in your mind what you want yet it is not clear to me. Eg bugger in number of pixels for whole image or bigger wider scratches etc. you mention use of channels (in the channels panel?). And paths which are associated with the paths panel? Do you have an example or a sample of the desired end result of what you want? If you just need more examples/“samples”. You could create as many as you want with generative fill in Photoshop. More than willing to help with a better roadmap yet “That’s a good start” does not help me help you

If course it could just be me as well.
John Wheeler
Generative Fill wasn't introduced until the unveiling of Photoshop 25. I'm using the CS2 version.

Back