What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Illustrator Illustrator and Pagemaker help....again!

lindaw

Power User
Yeah it prints fine in AI. I made the template in pmaker for the business cards and all I needed was the logo on the card, a simple place command. Too many days without sleep but I didn't see any way to get the template into AI.

I really, really appreciate all the help!!!!

Thanks a million!! :} :B 8} 8}

Rantin Al

Guru
Linda,

The screengrab is on a Mac OSX but refers to the ILLUSTRATOR menu setting.

You have been rasterizing the artwork in Illustrator at 72 dpi.

Regardless of the settings in PageMaker, you will only get a 300 dpi image of a screen optimized logo and it is this which is causing the jaggies.

What you have done is: Created vector artwork, rasterised it at 72dpi, placed it into PageMaker and printed at 300 dpi.

All PageMaker can do is upsample the lo-res file and print that.

Al.

lindaw

Power User
No I am at 300 on Pagemaker and AI that is whats so strange. I checked the settings. Here is a screen shot of pmaker:

lindaw

Power User
Here is AI: If you see anything I am overlooking please lemme know! I appreciate your time!!! :}

Rantin Al

Guru
Linda, What you have there are Document and Page set ups for Illustrator and PageMaker. These are fine. That is not the problem.

It is the Illustrator Document Rasterize Settings which are set to 72 dpi. This is the problem.

Go to: Illustrator > Main Menu > Effects > Document Raster Effects Settings.

Change the Resolution from 72 dpi to 300 dpi, and tick the Anti-Alias option.

What's happening is Illustrator is creating 72 dpi bitmap images with this setting.
Even if you set the Illustrator output resolution to 1200 dpi, you will still get cruddy output.

Al.

lindaw

Power User
Sorry I posted the wrong thing for AI, duh! Here is the correct settings you spoke about. This is how I have them set. I do see two problems right off the bat....speaking of bats just smack me with one please!!!

Thanks so much for your help. Sorry I had the stupid hat on :{

Rantin Al

Guru
YAAAAHOO! So that's mission accomplished then? :rofl:

This long winded way was a good excercise in figuring out some of the hidden menus and features which can cause problems.

OK, what are the 2 problems you have spotted?

If you want to combine Illustrator artwork in Photoshop:

1. Create the Illustrator artwork and scale it to final size.
2. Select All and Copy it to the Clipboard.
3. Jump to Photoshop, File > New, Set Mode and Resolution > OK, Edit > Paste.

This method copies the vector (high definition) information, and gives the quickest method of getting from one program to the other.

Photoshop will create a new document, Rasterize the vector artwork into a Photoshop layer at the specified resolution and exact size of the original Illustrator artwork.

You can increase the Canvas size to fit the final project and create the rest of the artwork.

Save a copy as a final, flattened TIF file.
Always keep a copy of your original layered Photoshop file, you may need it to make alterations in the future.
This will save re-creating the artwork from scratch

It is not being stupid, it's called learning! ;)

Al.

lindaw

Power User
Well I dang sure didn't want 36px around the edge, I wanted a white background not transparent and I didn't have the alias turned on. What computers can't read minds? :rofl:

You have saved me once again and I learned so much in the process!! :} :B

Rantin Al

Guru
Linda, you're welcome as long as you learn.

Looking forward to the next installment! :p :rofl: :rofl:

al.

wbiss

Guru
[saywhat] Wow R.A.!

I just learn't a whole heck of a lot!!! (At least until the next time I forget it)... :shocked:

:D But it's all here 'archived' for my future reference. ;)

Great 'tutoring' insomuch as walking Linda through this one!!! :} :} :}

[confused] I'm still a "bit confused" as to why we (and you know what I mean when I say "we") were exporting images from AI (a graphics program) and importing same into PM (a layout program) for the simple purpose of printing business cards... [confused]

IF it was a 'template issue', the template is easy enough to produce in AI or PS...??? [confused]

;) No offence Linda... I question R.A. only because I want to know/understand better. IF there is some viable reason to go the route that you did, I'd like to know. ;)

Rantin Al

Guru
Wendy,

Hindsight, experience, know-how! It's wonderfull when you have it, takes a wee bit of effort to gain it. ;)

I would have created the whole job and printed straight from Illustrator, now!

I still remember trying to get a transparent background on a cutout image, took me a whole week to figure! I literally slept on it and woke up one morning to the answer. Wrote it down there and then, lest I thought I was dreaming.

It comes all down to understanding the capabilities and limitations of each application. That only comes with coping with and solving problems such as this.

As I said, it's all down to experience. ;)

Al.

wbiss

Guru
R.A. Hindsight, experience, know-how!

;) Well, you've got it R.A. and I'm grateful that you share it with us!

:D :D :D :perfect: :perfect: :perfect: