What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Image Copy & Paste not working in Photoshop

Master

Hi ,

In photoshop I clicked on Purge in following path Edit->Purge->All (clipboard, Histories).... After this moment onwards copy and pasting a image from internet is not working sometimes it coming most of the times it is not .
I tried resetting the preferences as well , but issue not resolved

Please suggest if you know solution for this.

Hi @Master

It may help forum members to know
1) if PC vs Mac
2) Which specific OS
3) Specific copy and pasting commands / approach (e.g. to the clipboard), from a file, or cut and paste a screen shot

I have had similar problems yet the root cause can be quite varied and a very broad guessing game without more details
Just a suggestion.
John Wheeler

Addition to @thebestcpu questions - you say it's sometimes working, sometimes not? Makes me believe it's the image you're trying to copy and not a PS problem.
Did you try left clicking on the image and drag/drop into PS?
Did you try right clicking image and instead of copying, saving it to a folder or desktop? Then try to open that image and see what happens. If image is there, then you should be able to place it.
Did you try taking a screen shot of the image you want using a snipping program and then pasting into PS?
Some images are not meant to be copied and that's what you might be running into....just my thoughts...

Hi @Master

It may help forum members to know
1) if PC vs Mac
2) Which specific OS
3) Specific copy and pasting commands / approach (e.g. to the clipboard), from a file, or cut and paste a screen shot

I have had similar problems yet the root cause can be quite varied and a very broad guessing game without more details
Just a suggestion.
John Wheeler
thanks I missed these

Windows 10 OS
Cntrl+C and Cntl V from Internet

Addition to @thebestcpu questions - you say it's sometimes working, sometimes not? Makes me believe it's the image you're trying to copy and not a PS problem.
Did you try left clicking on the image and drag/drop into PS?
Did you try right clicking image and instead of copying, saving it to a folder or desktop? Then try to open that image and see what happens. If image is there, then you should be able to place it.
Did you try taking a screen shot of the image you want using a snipping program and then pasting into PS?
Some images are not meant to be copied and that's what you might be running into....just my thoughts...

Thanks for replying...
But I think it's PS problem only because this is the first time I clicked on Purge till before I never faced this issue...
Yes I tried options you suggested expect the drag and drop same issue for the other options the problem begins when I try to copy and paste...

I think when I copy it is not going in for clipboard I believe .

Sometimes you don't have enough rights either.

This is when Windows installs an update, it has already been installed, your Browser installed an update or Photoshop was previously updated without Windows being restarted.

Often it also helps to start Photoshop with administrator rights or to loosen the settings of the Windows User Account Control (UAC).

Have you ever tried to insert the supposed content from the clipboard into another program (Word, Notepad, ...)

Sometimes you don't have enough rights either.

This is when Windows installs an update, it has already been installed, your Browser installed an update or Photoshop was previously updated without Windows being restarted.

Often it also helps to start Photoshop with administrator rights or to loosen the settings of the Windows User Account Control (UAC).

Have you ever tried to insert the supposed content from the clipboard into another program (Word, Notepad, ...)
Hi
Thanks for the video but drag and drop is working fine ...I checked there is no recent windows update , Like I mentioned problem started next moment after clicking on that purge

Hi @Master
To narrow down the problem I suggest the following steps.
1) Go into Windows Clipboard settings and turn on the Clipboard History option
This allows you to view the entire history of clips you have made. Here is any image of the settings you should see to turn the history on:

Screen Shot 2021-07-25 at 10.20.38 AM.png

After you have clipped an item and are in another application then use "Windows Key + V" and the clipboard history will display itself.
If you image is not clipped into the clipboard history, then that is the problem and we can track that down
If the image is in the clipboard history and its not pasting in PS, then we can track that down.

If the image is not in the clipboard, after selecting the image, instead of using the keyboard shortcut, right click and use copy image

If it is not pasting into photoshop, keep in mind I believe you need an open document into which to paste (not the same as drag and drop which automatically opens a new document). This is my recollection in any case. You can use open new file and then one of the options should be to copy from clipboard.

Hope this gives you some productive things to try
John Wheeler

Back