What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Image for web - quality problem

RTContent

Power User
Hi - one more question if I may. If I reduce the pixel dimensions - should I also reduce the resolution? My resolution defaults to 180 and I know that is for printing only. If my image is for the web only, should I still reduce the resolution to 72 or doesn't it matter? Will the quality be different on the web?
thanks!

It doesn't matter one bit. It will still be exactly the same image as long as the resolution is the same.

RTContent

Power User
So - reduce the image dimensions by the pixel width not by resolution.
thanks!

I think you might be confused. The pixel width + height = resolution. In this instance dimension and resolution can be used interchangeably.

puppychew

Power User
I think I am. One image I am working with is 4320x3240. Resolution is 180 in the document size box.
Let's say I want a 1500 width.
If I make the resolution 72, the pixel dimensions are reduced to 1728x1296. Then I can just change the width to 1500
the other option is
just change the width to 1500px leaving the resolution of 180 unchanged.
Does it matter in the final result?

RTContent

Power User
The number '180' you are referring to is the ppi or pixels per inch. This number can be completely ignored if you are producing for the web. Don't change the ppi, just alter the pixel dimensions.