What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

image ready and video

Doc

Boy, it's been a long time since I've posted...although I visit often. [oops]

I thought someone might be interested in a web page I just finished. I wanted to embed a video within a picture so this is what I did: The background was sliced using image ready and a small video was inserted in the appropriate cell. The tricky part was to encode the video to be the same size as the sliced cell.

Once the video has loaded, start it by running your cursor over the screen.

My apologies to those with dial-up connections as the video takes a minute or so to load even with broadband...but, if you're patient, I think you'll like it. (The video is Disney for those that wonder)

http://www.angelfire.com/fl5/doc_1/BR.html

Tip: Since my webpage opens in a new window, just keep browsing here at the forum for a bit while the movie loads (by selecting it in your task bar below).

Doc

Nice to hear from you again Doc. :perfect:

In Mozilla 1.8 Doc i'm getting a broken image icon. [confused]

Thanks for the reply. I use IE6 and the 'broken image icon' shows there too until the file loads. The video is about 6 mb in size so it's possible the video hadn't finished loading for you yet.

I realize the delay in loading isn't good web etiquette but I did the page for a group of members at another message board that are interested in this type of video and don't mind the delay.

I hope you'll give it another try. The video is one done by the Disney Studios during WWII starring Minnie Mouse and Pluto extolling the virtues of collecting cooking fat for the war effort.

Doc

Doc said:
I realize the delay in loading isn't good web etiquette but I did the page for a group of members at another message board that are interested in this type of video and don't mind the delay.
Members of a board who don't mind a delay is not the same as visitors Doc and those who didn't complain probably didn't have a modem either. 45-50%* of the Americans (*source=http://www.nielsen-netratings.com) still use a modem and for them it would take 20 min to download the file.

Streaming video is the best way to go, even for a highspeed user like me.

Doc,

I'm using Safari on a Mac and DSL. The initial image loads rapidly but there is no video available. I can't check with other browsers as my main computer is down for another six hours or so and I'm using a backup which has no extra browsers.

That's a great avatar you've made. :perfect:

Thanks for the comments. This was just an idea to make the video appear to be shown on the movie screen. I usually have any video set to open with the media player rather than hidden like this one:

http://members.lycos.co.uk/genelewis/video.htm

Welles, did you move your cursor over the screen after it loaded? It's set to start after the rollover. Glad you like my avatar. I can only take credit for combining two images, colorizing the uniform and adding the blinks.

Doc

Doc,

Well I gave it a serious try. Yes I tried the rollover to start the movie. In Safari only a gray screen showed, no movie loaded. In Camino, Firefox, and Netscape (all the latest versions) a broken link showed in the movie screen. The closest browser I use which came to working was Internet Explorer which showed the movie was loading in the status bar and then, at the end of the 6.whatever MB file transfer threw up a window saying that it couldn't load the .wmv file. I do have Window's Media Player installed which would play that file format, I believe, but perhaps there is a browser plugin missing. The net result of my experimenting seemed to indicate that your experiment doesn't seem to be cross platform.

It's a great idea and a clever presentation. I just wish I could see the movie! ;)

Back