What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Image size help needed

Lee Olson

I have always made my own wallpapers for my phones. For the most part, they fit the format of the screen but not always. I have moderate skills using PS but no skills at sizing images. My new Galaxy S10+ will have a 6.4 inch screen (3040 X 1440) with 525 ppi. Can someone tell me what size image I need to make in PS so these images will fit on my screen?

Thanks in advance

Lee

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Hey..............wasn't sure if this was a legit question.

Just in case it is. The answer is 3040px x 1440px.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Just adding, you can't resize an image to 3040 x 1440. You would have to size it down and crop it to fit in those dimensions. But if your creating graphics, just start with a 3040 x1440 document.

Fore example:

The only part of this flower image that will fit in the 3040 x 1440 area is that within the darkened area. The image has been resized proportionately to it's smallest dimension.
Screen Shot 2019-03-03 at 7.05.11 PM.png

Now it will need to be cropped inside the the 3040 x 1440 area.
Cropped.
Screen Shot 2019-03-03 at 7.10.54 PM.png

Now delete the transparent pixels and save.

Lee Olson

Thanks for the great example. If I made my images 760 X 360 (3040X1440 divided by 4) would that make them fit my screen with little to no waste on the top or bottom? I obviously can't download a bunch of images that are 3040X1440. The phone would run out of storage pretty quickly. I'm not worried about an exact fit, Sam. Your flower example would be close enough for the kind of thing I'm doing.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
OK............I see now what you may have been asking. No...............the super large images that it would take to fill the screen would eat up memory. You would have to create a 3040 x 1440 template in Ps and crop and size each image before uploading to the phone.

Last edited:

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
If I made my images 760 X 360 (3040X1440 divided by 4) would that make them fit my screen with little to no waste on the top or bottom?
Sorry I missed this!!!!

That could work but I think the resolution might suffer. Give it a try!

Lee Olson

Educate me here. Why would downsizing an image make the quality less? You obviously can't enlarge images too much without losing resolution but I thought downsizing would actually make more Pixels in a smaller area, therefore, the same or better quality. This is where my knowledge of PS is really lacking.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
You obviously can't enlarge images too much without losing resolution
Think of it this way........What does the phone have to do with a 760 x 360 image to make it fit the 3040 x 1440 screen?

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Actually.................I don't even know if the phone would scale the image in those dimensions..................I would have to experiment.

Lee Olson

Oh, I see what you're getting at, Sam. Now I'm more confused, though (easy to do at my age, 75 - lol). I have a screen that's 3040 X 1440 with 525ppi. I want to make an image fit those dimensions but not make it 3040 X 1440 as it would eat up too much memory. What do I do?

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
No.........you want each wallpaper/background to be exactly 3040 x 1440 72ppi. That's only about 950kb each. You could add extended memory to your phone if needed.

Lee Olson

Thanks. I'll try that tomorrow and let you know how it goes. I'm self-taught in all my PS skills and image sizing and ppi has always been a roadblock for me. Thank god for Youtube. : )

Aakshat

Power User
Try these wallpapers, and than than you can make your wallpapers with same aspect ratio. these wallpapers are specially made for s10+, so keeping the same aspect ratio will make them fit perfectly.

(check out his profile, he is making more wallpapers to fit on s10+)

And trust me you will not run out of space,

The base model of s10plus comes with 128gb of storage and that is enough for anything.
Even if system would take 28gb (which is highly not possible) still you will be left with 100gb usable storage.

And if you go for the highest quality possible
and if 1 UHD wallpaper is 10mb than if you keep 100 walls.
it will be roughly 1gb, just 1% of your entire storage.
so take my advice and dont worry about the space it will not going to run out of space anytime soon.
And find the highest quality walls you can get, the better the quality the better it will look on amoled.

Lee Olson

Thanks, Aakshat. : ) I'm concerned about space because I have 425 images that change every 15 minutes using an automatic wallpaper changer I got on Google Play.

Lee Olson

I'm a little embarrassed here as this was so simple to do and I didn't figure it out for myself. I ended up just dividing 3040 X 1440 by 2 which gave me 1520 X 720 and made an image using that size. Didn't lose any quality (at least none I could see on my phone) so all is good. Do have a problem in that the phone is so tall and narrow there aren't any images on my hard drive that will fit that format. Now I'm just going to have to figure out how to make them taller without using the gradient tool which just gives me an image in the middle of the phone's screen and nothing on top or bottom. I attached three of the 425 images I want to use.

Thanks for everyone's your help

023.png

197 (1).png

043.png

Aakshat

Power User
Oh, forgot. I also have almost 5000 songs that take up a lot of space. : )

Well that explains it, :p

Now I'm just going to have to figure out how to make them taller without using the gradient tool which just gives me an image in the middle of the phone's screen and nothing on top or bottom.

So 1520x720 images fits on it hmm.
You can do this by two ways

1. Resize image > and set height to 1520 (dont touch width yet)
than set canvas size to 720.
but it will crop out the image from left and right. example below
043 - 1.png

2. Or if you dont want to crop the sides.
set width to 720
than set canvas size to 1520.
you will be left with transparent top and bottom.
than you can use content aware tool to fill the top and bottom.
But this method will not work with all images and images might look weird. example below

043 - 2.png

043 - 2.png