What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Image sizes

Lee

Guru
Newbie question (as if ALL mine aren't). :\

I have an image that is taller that it is wide 400X700 (also called protrait format when printing). It is a photo abstract so can be viewed either way. When I go to rotate it 90 degrees it does not hold it's original shape and almost looks square after I turn it. Why does PS not hold the original "shape" and what do I need to get it back. I tried using the image size option but it still was not working right (or I am doing it wrong which is most likely the case, huh)? Thanks.

How are you rotating it?
Transform or Canvas?

If that's the case, then I would say that it's an optical illusion. Don't monitors have squishiness? Something like 1:1.3?

No, it's not an optical illusion. Something that is 400X700 is almost twice as tall as it is wide and when I rotate it it really becomes almost square .

First thing, double-check the dimensions after rotating.
If you start with 400x700, then Rotate Canvas will give you 700x400.

Next thing, take a ruler to your monitor.
Start a new doc, say 700x700.
Measure the horizontal and vertical by putting a ruler right to your monitor.
If the physical measurements are the pretty close, then I don't know what the deal is.
If the physical measurements are off, then something about your monitor has to be adjusted. You know, like the horizontal or vertical squishiness. Or maybe you can find a setting to adjust the pixel aspect ratio.

Other than that, I'm at a loss.

this really is a silly question but I am going to ask it anyway Lee.....
your image was at 100% veiw before you rotated it? after rotation is it still at 100% or did it change to 66% so that it is viewable on your screen? :\ just a thought
sfm

Sue,

I just checked. The image was at 66%. Does that make a difference?

Stroker,

That was one of the first things I looked at and the dimentions were reversed. Started at 400X700 and ended up after the rotation 700X400. Go figure, huh? It STILL LOOKS(and measures) almost square. [confused]

Lee... is this a 'test' for us? [confused] [confused] [confused]

Image/Rotate Canvas/90 degrees CW or CCW IS NOT going to change your canvas from a landscape to a square - only from a landscape to a portrait! Honestly! ;)

[confused] Me thinks that there's more to this. Is there an area outside of your canvas that you're not seeing. In other words, make sure that you 'crop' your image to get rid of any hidden 'excess' before you rotate it. Just another thought... [innocent]

Well, I suppose your image is simply bigger than your canvas is. So just hit Ctrl+A to select All (the whole canvas) and then go to Image>Crop. This should get you rid of the invisible data on the layers that PS keeps for just in case.

Nope, nothing more to this that I can see. Maybe I should just print one after it's been rotated and see if it's a rectangle or almost square.

Lee said:
Sue,

I just checked. The image was at 66%. Does that make a difference?

okay just a simple test..... if you grab the magnify tool and make it 100% does it not now become the right size?

when you rotated the canvas you didn't have anything selected did you?
but by rotating the canvas it could change it's image size so that you can see the whole thing on the screen which is why it would be at 66% well it is just a thought anyway........ make it actual size and tell me what you see....... also go to image/ image size and tell me what it says
sfm

Lee... I think that someone ought to turn your IV off! [:I :p ;) :D

Sue, I did as you asked and made the image 100%. I then rotated 90 degrees both left and right and I get the same effect - a shortening of the longest dimension (in this case, height). When I pull up image size it reversed them correctly but on screen it is no longer a rectangle but almost a square image. Nothing was selected.

Wendy, I think it was YOU, girl. Somehow you screwed with my IV so I would start having hallucinations. Then you sat back there and giggled uncontrollably, didn't you?

nope you must have done something else Lee - something you have forgotten and not said as no matter how many times I rotate a canvas it is the same size just rotated....... see.........
sfm

Lee: Wendy, I think it was YOU, girl. Somehow you screwed with my IV so I would start having hallucinations. Then you sat back there and giggled uncontrollably, didn't you?
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: That's right Lee... ;) I subsituted your "Dewars" for water... :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

[shhh] I was bored and needed a good giggle! :p

Thanks!!! :D

Back