What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Important: the future of Photoshopgurus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gaussian

Retired Administrator
Hi everybody,

I would like to say hello to everyone on this board as the new owner of Photoshopgurus.com. I?m happy that Mark trusted the future of Photoshopgurus in my hands, so thank you Mark.

Some background

I?ve been a very active member/ moderator of this board for 1 ? year. I?ve got to know this place as a friendly and helpful community with some wonderful people.
Frustrations on my side have caused some friction by which I was forced to leave, but time passes, we try to learn from our mistakes and try to use them to our advantage.

Soon after I left it was obvious that I needed to start my own site, so I started with a plan and opened my first major site on March 2005. That site has been pretty successful so far and actually doing better than I expected before I started.

This gave me in the long run the confidence to consider a second site. PSG was never in the picture, but when I read that PSG?s future was in danger I could simply not ignore it, knowing how much PSG meant for me years ago, but also how much it means or meant for others.

I?ve done some research as how my current site and PSG can continue to support the Photoshop community, without competing with one another and I?ve come up with a plan that pretty much balances the two sites. I think that in the long run both sites will benefit from this.

Photoshopshopgurus is this year 10 years old, which is pretty amazing when you see so many Photoshop sites pop up like dandelions on your lawn, yet disappear in a matter of 1 to 2 years.

The last couple of weeks preparations were made to make the switch. It takes a while for the domain name to propagate all over the world (so that it points to the new server), so some people will still end up on the old server. This situation should change in less than 1-2 days.

Mark has been extremely busy with work for quite a while now, so it?s understandable that he wasn?t able to dedicate enough his time to this site, so it?s not surprising that the amount of visitors has decreased.

To bring the site back on track I need to go through a lot of things, so please be patient with me.
The main focus will be on promoting the site to have more visitors and to reduce maintenance. This will automatically lead to a different looking site and forum, some expansion, but the whole concept of Photoshopgurus stays the same, which is a friendly place for people who want to learn Photoshop or want to share their art, designs or ideas and don't forget.... have some good old fun!? 8}

Note that to increase the traffic I need to make several changes that take a lot of time. Also traffic won?t increase over night; it takes weeks if not months but expect some improvements. Where this all leads to, I don't know, but you can be sure that I'll do my best and that time is the only limit.

Photoshopgurus? moderators will be contacted in private about future plans.

More information will follow.? ;)

namvet

Power User
Neo .. I am pleased to read your above post stating that PSG will continue. I thank the Keeper for originating PSG and for all the work he has done for various members in the past ... and I wish the Keeper very best with his new ventures :} :} :} :} :} :} 8)) 8)) 8)) 8)) 8)) 8))

Sean

Guru
Wow. I am very glad to see that this site won't dissapear after all. Not only will this site continue, but it looks like you have some more upgrades/expansions up your sleeve too, neo. :perfect:
And, I wish Mark the best of luck and thank you for this wonderful place you've created! 8)) 8)) 8))

dv8_fx

Retired Administrator
A hearthy congrats to Mark, mods and everyone who kept the place alive all these years.

After a looooooooong absence, it's nice to see the house doing well.

Me thinks it's time to clear off me cobwebs............

dv8_fx

namvet

Power User
dv8_fx ... welcome back!! ... if you need a hand with those cobwebs just say ... :p

Shaun

Nice to see more members coming back.
Cheers!

SCync

Power User
First off, thanks and congratulations to Reg for stepping up to the plate in order to keep this community afloat. I hope and trust that the standards that Mark established for this forum are maintained, mainly professionalism, courtesy, and maturity (to a point ;) ).

It's also good to see some of the old class coming back for a look and a word.

Congrats to namvet, on becoming a mod. Can't see anything but good coming out of that decision.

To Mark, thanks for all you've put into this project over the years. Good luck in all future endeavors, and hope to see you pop in for a cold one from time to time.

So Reg, good luck with this and let's hope we can get this place back to where it deserves to be, best damn PS resource on the Web. :} :perfect:

Steve

ronmatt

Guru
Well, well, verrrrry interesting.......... \:/ My two favorite forums, Lunacore and PSG both run by the same person..... This must be a plot [shhh] Is the FCC aware of this? How long will it be before this guy takes over Google or maybe the entire internet???? [honesty]

Should I continue to post on both forums? \:/ Have I used enough avatars \:/
Do these things actually make MONEY? \:/

Good luck and thanks for resurecting the PSG

Gaussian

Retired Administrator
ronmatt said:
How long will it be before this guy takes over Google or maybe the entire internet???? [honesty]

:rofl:

Post wherever you feel Ron, there will be familiar names on both boards.
After things have settled down after this take over, I will however remove the Lunacore name from all the posts here at PSG and do the same with PSG name on the other forum.

For now I just try to be open about what's happening in the background, but I want to avoid any "virtual" connection between the two sites. Both sites will continue to run independently from one another with their own identity and strengths. It?s on those individual strengths that I will focus on and I will avoid cloning both sites.

I?m able to run a second site, because Lunacore is pretty much running itself; traffic has actually increased this previous month, without me having to add lots of new content.
Soon 3 new tutorials will be released though, which then gives me time to focus more on PSG for the next 1 or 2 months. Photoshopgurus?s strength has always been its community and to continue this I will need to make changes for the rest of the site.
Traffic at PSG (not the forum) is at an all time low, now 10 times lower than Lunacore and without that traffic we won?t see a lot of new faces appear on the board. So my top priority for PSG is to get the traffic back and to bring to site at a level that it doesn?t require a lot of maintenance, because I do have a life beyond Photoshop. 8}

Gaussian

Retired Administrator
If anyone asks what's up with the nick name Neo; Neo stands for "new", in this case a new beginning for PSG.
All I'm asking, be patient, I only have two hands, but I can bring this community back to life, but like with all communities, it takes two to tango, so all I'm asking; share, comment when someone posts his stuff in the gallery (it encourages people), come up with new ideas for challenges, welcome new members the way you were welcomed, give back what others have given to you, spread the world, let PSG be a true Photoshop family like it always was with members who really enjoy what they're doing, who also who respect and take time to relax, make fun (tons of beautiful emoticons made by Mark that can help you), because there is more in this world then just moving pixels. :)

theKeeper

Guru
Wow guys it looks like the switch-off will go as well as hoped.
This is a good thing, yes? :D

I hope everyone can understand exactly why i had to make this move for myself. Besides the starting/running of 3 new business ventures, there's family (Seth's getting old enough to really start 'doing' things now), and as well, we're moving in Sept. to Kelowna (which will be a major change in our life style, plus most of my family is there also). And then there's my music... which is truely my first love in life after family and friends. I've been wanting to get more serious with it again after several years of neglecting it for various reasons. So that's my situation in a nutshell.

And as asked above, yes, i will always be able to show up from time-to-time to partake in the community spirit.

I would like to thank everyone for welcoming Neo (Reg [aka Gaussian]) back to the community, as he strives to take on a very large job. Please provide him any time/help he needs to make the most of this new opportunity. I'm sure we'll all benefit down the road from his hard work. I would also like to thank Reg for stepping up to tackle this challenge. Good luck Reg, i have high hopes for the positive future and growth of PSG, while in your hands. :perfect:

If anyone has any questions or comments directed at me personally, you can still PM or email me. I'm always lingering around, like a ghost in the rafters. And who knows... i may actually kick in a new tutorial once-in-a-while too. ;)

Oh and from this day forth, i shall relinquish my longtime title as "theKeeper", and from here forth be known as "theFounder" instead. This is now a more suitable title for me in keeping with my past tradition of the PSG theme.

Gaussian

Retired Administrator
theFounder said:
Wow guys it looks like the switch-off will go as well as hoped.

Yep, things seems to be going well Mark. There are still a few board settings I need to have a look at, but nothing shocking.

Thanks for the encouragement and explaining why you came to your decision. All I can say is that I will do my best to bring her back on track.

Visit us whenever you feel like it, because I think we all like to know occasionally how theFounder is doing!? :)

ljiljana

Guru
Mark I wish you all the best. To live the dream is the only way I understand. Go for it. ;)
Thank you for everything from the bottom of my heart. 8))

Neo, what a wonderful suprise! :perfect:
Welcome back.

Klaatu Baradda Nikto

So glad to see PSG survive and be revived.

Mark, it's bittersweet to hear that you are moving on. We're truly happy for you and the exciting changes in your life. We know that whatever you do, you will do it with extreme class and boat-loads of talent.

Neo, you have some big shoes to fill here but you are getting this off to an impressive start!

We're looking forward to more great times here at PSG.

Gaussian

Retired Administrator
SCync said:
So Reg, good luck with this and let's hope we can get this place back to where it deserves to be, best damn PS resource on the Web

Thank you SCync!? ;)

ljiljana said:
Neo, what a wonderful suprise!? Welcome back.

Great to see you're doing ok ljiljana? :perfect:

Klaatu Baradda Nikto said:
Neo, you have some big shoes to fill here but you are getting this off to an impressive start!

Well if it isn't that famous robot!? :D That you you Klaatu? ?;)

namvet

Power User
Alistair said:
I don't want to call him Neo... can't I just call him Gaussian???? :cry:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: .... Alistair hasn't changed!! .... that is sooo good! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.