What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

>>>IMPOSSIBLE!!!!<<<

C

Chester

i dont know if he made it in Photoshop, but i do know one thing; its just plain ugly :(|

(yes, im serious)

Alistair

Guru
Chester said:
i dont know if he made it in Photoshop, but i do know one thing; its just plain ugly :(|

(yes, im serious)

He made it in photoshop only (thats what his comment was to his pic)... at east thats what he said.. and chester.. we do have our own oppinions, if you think something is ugly, dont make a comment, if you think something is beutiful, go right ahead ;)

C

Chester

Alistair said:
if you think something is ugly, dont make a comment
i never said that any image on this board was ugly and i never will.

i only think that this image looks like poop from the stone age and since the artist will never know... who cares

Alistair

Guru
Chester said:
Now this is the kind of stuff I like: http://www.furiae.com/

Linda Bergkvist, awarded two Master awards in EXPOS? 1

Thats very good art.. but its not photoshop, and really... it shouldnt be mentioned here, dont want you getting the thread off topic ;) :D But that is a very nice site and good work indeed.

Alistair

Guru
Chester said:
Alistair said:
if you think something is ugly, dont make a comment
i never said that any image on this board was ugly and i never will.

i only think that this image looks like poop from the stone age and since the artist will never know... who cares
Actually, you might just want to adjust youre monitor settings because to me, i dont see anything that looks like its from the ston age, and i think that looks like a AMAZINGLY long 3d render with a very good amount of time and detail put into it.

MindBender

Guru
Alistair said:
He made it in photoshop only (thats what his comment was to his pic)... at east thats what he said..

I'm sure that's possible with just photoshop since it's just a repeated shape that's been tweaked over and over. Anyone with a couple months of photoshop experience could probably figure out how to do that.

and chester.. we do have our own oppinions, if you think something is ugly, dont make a comment, if you think something is beutiful, go right ahead ;)

That is just stupid. We don't learn anything by having people stroke our egos. If you only comment on things that you think are beautiful, then you are only getting reinforced and you aren't learning. Also, in the real world, people don't usually like your stuff... you'd better get used to that type of response. That whole thing your mommy told you about "if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all..."... pure b.s. The world isn't like that, and it doesn't help you to grow in your skills. I sure hope you were kidding. [stuned]

C9Mouse

Power User
Alistair said:
He made it in photoshop only (thats what his comment was to his pic)... at east thats what he said.. and chester.. we do have our own oppinions, if you think something is ugly, dont make a comment, if you think something is beutiful, go right ahead.

I have to agree with MB. One of the things that always bugged me about design forums were the amount of people who always gave me crap because I told people the truth - like "Sorry, but your design isn't that good."

I always thought telling people the truth about their work was what design forums were for. You're not going to learn anything if someone is always needlessly pumping sunshine up your rear end simply for the sake of being "nice."

I am always very leary of people who constantly say the same thing about everyone's work - "Awesome job!" or something like that. This is absolutely pointless. No one is going to learn anything if all they ever hear is the same cookie-cutter comments. True, we should encourage people, but not to the point of idiocy.

C

Chester

Alistair said:
Thats very good art.. but its not photoshop.
for your information; Linda does almost all her work in Photoshop and some in Painter. heck, she even teaches Photoshop at a university!
maybe youre not so good with photoshop but that doesnt mean that you should doubt the qualities of others. Linda Berkvist said once that the only thing that bothered her in the beginning was the fact that people assumed that she traced images or painted over photographs, even when she denied it. today everybody knows better...

get used to the fact that some people are that skilled!

MindBender

Guru
it shouldnt be mentioned here, dont want you getting the thread off topic

Apparently you weren't kidding...someone's on a power trip [stuned]

Well, you guys snuck in while I was typing and I realized I forgot to address the main question you posted about proving it... here you go... a couple sites of digital artists that build simply amazing things without the aid of 3D modeling:

http://www.bertmonroy.com

http://www.eyewoo.com

Those guys have some real talent.

Hell, you want things that look like they came out of a 3D program, take a look at our venerable host. There are tutorials on this very site that are easily as complex or more complex techniques than that which produce wonderful 3D effects. And that's not even counting the inumerable members on the forums that have posted excellent work that rivals or surpasses that.

And it is ugly. Not the 3D object which is actualy okay, but the poorly constructed and transformed background. Someone should mention that to him rather than simply stroking his ego as all the posts on deviant did. But then, that's one of the reasons I don't go to deviant often.

and since the artist will never know... who cares
I dunno Chester, that seems pretty lame... it's okay to bad mouth someone if they won't hear about it? I'd rather hear that my work is crap to my face than find out that someone was talking about me on some forum somewhere I didn't go.

Blah. $0.02

AppleCider

Power User
Simply saying something is "ugly" (for a posted image these boards) isn't helpful. To me, the point of commenting on someone's work is to help them make it better (or, in some cases, indeed saying it's "awesome")

If you don't like what someone's posted, please, point them to a better way. If all you have to say is "I don't like it" or something equivalent, refrain from commenting. That's neither useful or the point of comments on these boards.

Remember, there's a wide range of experience here. Please keep that in mind.

C

Chester

MindBender said:
and since the artist will never know... who cares
I dunno Chester, that seems pretty lame... it's okay to bad mouth someone if they won't hear about it? I'd rather hear that my work is crap to my face than find out that someone was talking about me on some forum somewhere I didn't go.
I totally disgaree. maybe im not the most tactful guy, but i would never tell you that your work is 'ugly' or to compare it with stinky old poop. sorry to disappoint you, im not THAT low.

and for your information... lots of people talk nasty about the work of others behind their back... dont start telling me that im that unique... c'mon man!

C9Mouse

Power User
Why say something is "Awesome!" when it's not? My point in a nutshell: Be honest (and yes, this includes telling the person ways to make it better).

C

Chester

AppleCider said:
Simply saying something is "ugly" (for a posted image these boards) isn't helpful.
Off topic...

i made suggestions on kiwis images and yes, maybe i should also have said what he did well and my suggestions would have been received in a better way. i can understand that. if you all feel the urge to attack me because of that all the time...

dont give others the impression that i would just call their image 'ugly' on this board, because then youre really mixing things up. i comment on an image on an other board, the guy doesn't know me and now i should go over there and tell him why its ugly... sorry, i have one word for that... ridiculous

MindBender

Guru
Chester said:
and for your information... lots of people talk nasty about the work of others behind their back... dont start telling me that im that unique... c'mon man!

I'm not saying you're unique, what I'm saying is that we should strive to be better than that. I wasn't singling you out because you did it, I was saying that that kind of attitude isn't good. Which I followed with my opinion about what I would prefer, agree or not is up to you.

I don't know, maybe people's egos are more fragile than mine. I'd certainly rather have someone come and tell me something to my face than to have them talk about me behind my back. I'm sure it happens, but what I'm saying is that it shouldn't.

Yes, AppleCider, I understand what you're saying. My point wasn't so much that we should go around calling stuff ugly. You should always have something helpful and constructive to say as well. My point was more that blowing sunshine up people's ass doesn't help at all, so you have to be willing to take the bad with the good and be willing as a viewer to critique something if it has a problem and not afraid of "hurting their feewings".

I'm not advocating being harsh or mean... in fact I'm advocating the opposite. That we should strive always to be helpful. If that means telling someone that they need to try again, then that's good. Yes, sometimes you don't have any suggestions and you really want to make a comment... and 90% of the time those comments are just that you like the work. Even then, though, more along the lines you're going with, you can point out what specificly you liked about it.

The point really goes back to putting in effort. If we don't want to try to help each other and put out the effort to make the community work, then we shouldn't be participating in the community, IMHO.

I really don't want this to become a shouting match.. that wasn't my intention... I was trying to move things away from that actually towards something a little more open. So take it for what it's worth and move on I guess.

$0.02

C

Chester

MindBender said:
I'm not advocating being harsh or mean... in fact I'm advocating the opposite.

earlier you wrote "it's okay to bad mouth someone if they won't hear about it?" which gave me the impression that it you think its fair to call someone elses work 'crap' (in person) the way you put it earlier and thats what i didnt agree with. some confusion, happens all the time on the internet.

thanks for explaining what you really meant and heres your $0,04 back :D

MindBender

Guru
My point was only that I would rather have someone call my work crap to my face than behind my back. Like I said, I wasn't advocating that we go around just telling each other that their work is crap. But if that's what you think of my work, then by all means don't hold back out of some sense of over-propriety. I'm a big advocate of honesty. The caveot, and I fully agree with A.C. on this, is that if you think something is crap, you'd better have some reasons to back it up, and hopefully some constructive criticism to try to help with.

I wasn't saying that you should go call that guys work crap (although feel free to if you like), I was saying that it was a little lame to think it's okay just because you don't think he will see it.

You can keep the 4 cents (or 6 by now), I've got no shortage of opinions :)

Tron

Guru
I missed this thread so I just read and reread it

First Chester wrote, that he thought the image in question was ugly

The he wrote ; that it didn't matter what he said because the other person would never see it.

Then he wrote; he would never call anyones work ugly.

and in his last post he implied that it was Mindbender who said these things. Boy am I confused.

For the most part on this board, and I have been here from the first day it started and even before that, as Mark had a board previous to this one, it has been my observation that the majority of the people on this site are basically hobbyists.

We certainly take what we do seriously and strive to improve but we are here because we enjoy the friendly atmosphere and camaraderie.

I agree with Mindbender that to use his term 'blowing sunshine up someones arse is not helping them to improve' but I also agree with AppleCider that if you are to post a negative comment then you also give suggestions for improvement.

We all strive to do our best and I know appreciate constructive criticisms but being just plain rude is not the way of the Photoshop Gurus Forum.

We have our fun threads were we poke a little fun at each other and in those places artistic ability is not even questioned, that is just for fun.

We have our challenges were we try to do the best we can. And we have some very talented people here on this site.

And through it all we have always tried to make it enjoyable for all and to be responsive and encouraging to those who are just starting out - if you look at the number of members we have you must agree so far it has been a very successful endeavor.

In the final analysis it is the artist who decides when a piece is finished, as throughout time the artist must please him/her self, because as Mindbender points out we will always be criticized by someone

So please people lets stop this bickering and get on with what we enjoy to do

Thanks

C9Mouse

Power User
Gives the thread's title - >>IMPOSSIBLE!<< - a whole new meaning, doesn't it?

:rofl: