What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Improving a logo for my dvd's

Doc

I'm trying to emulate the 'Fox Studio' logo to add to my dvd covers I make from tv captures. Any suggestions on how I can improve the look?

fox_doc.gif

I'd also like to something similar with the MGM and Republic logos too. These are for my own personal use...don't want any problems with trademark issues.

That's a fun project, Doc. Thinking it is going on a DVD, how about making a circular or curved selection prior to modifying Fox to Doc? I was wondering about the difference of having the rectangle image on a round disc vs. something curved. (Sorta thinking out loud)

Your job of changing the Fox to Doc is great! :perfect:

Thanks for the comments Welles. I'm still not too crazy about the 'C'...but the 'O' turned out great. ;)

The plan is to use these on dvd labels I create for the protective dvd jacket. I've posted this one before, but here's an example of what I mean:
iwo-full.gif

Made from scratch using stills I captured from the movie. The Title text was taken from the movie itself. The actor's names are done with Times New Roman.

I just wish I could find a font...or figure out how to do the very narrow text used on the back of 'professional' labels.

AHA! Now that I see where you are using it, it looks great. I had fantasies of it being printed on the DVD disc.

The perfect fonts to use would be Bitstream's FuturaBT-LightCondensed, and FuturaBT-MediumCondensed or URW's Function Condensed. The cheapest way to get the Function Condensed family of fonts is purchasing a license to the Font Site 500 CD. You get a legit license for 516 fonts for $40. Its the best buy in fonts on the internet.

http://www.fontsite.com/Pages/OrderForm/OrderForm1.html

What is this going to be for-is it strictly personal use? Be aware that there are copyright issues flying all over the place here...

Yes, as I mentioned in my opening post, this is strictly for my own personal use. The movie is captured from tv, just as you would using a vhs tape recorder. The jacket label is also made from scratch, not a copy of the commercial label.

I prefer my tv captures on dvd rather than tape. The quality is better and the disks hold up much better than tape as there is no wear.

Welles,

Thanks so much for remembering my font question. Thanks too to Lily (great job on her Movie Poster).

I've learned two things. One, that the spacing between letters can be adjusted using the 'tracking' setting and two, the vertical scale can be adjusted as well...

Here's a dvd cover I just completed for 'Treasure Island'. I enclude a closeup of the credits to show the use of the new fonts and using the tracking and vertical scaling options.

Thanks for all the help. :}

Tisland-New.gif

Tisland-New-closeup.gif

Edit: I noticed I misspelled 'Beery' so I redid the front.

Back