What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

infrared Effect

samifox

Hello Everyone!

Its nice to comeback?I liked the new design of the homage.

I need help fox! How can I resample the infrared effect with Photoshop?

Thanks
Shay

wbiss

Guru
Hi Shay! Long time no see...

[confused] Um, I'm not quite sure what you're asking here. What 'infrared effect' are you refering to? Do you have a sample you could post?

Or perhaps you could be a little more detailed with your request...

samifox

Let me see..

I think there is a good movie with Arnold swantsinniger but i cant remember the name.

it about an alian with infrared eyes view.

hope you can remember..

Shay

sPECtre

Guru
I think that you refer to Predator, where the hot objects are visible with hot colors (red, yellow) and the cold ones with tones of blues. The correct term would be something like thermal vision...

You should play with the gradient map adjustment layers, with a spectral gradient (if I can say that ;) )

Usually, when one refers to infrared, it is the look of infrared film that is aimed at, like : http://www.photoshopgurus.info/forum/viewtopic.php?t=664&highlight=infrared

dubya

Here's a quick and dirty method of achieving the infrared effect.

1.) Open the Curves command via Image>Adjust>Curves or Cmd (Ctrl: PC) M.

2.) Right underneath and to the right of the adjustment area in the Curves dialog box are two buttons side by side. One of these looks like a curved line with points plotted on it and the other looks like a pencil. Click on the icon of the pencil.

3.) Make a series of short dashes in the adjustment area with the pencil tool. This inverts segments of the image while leaving the base colors unchanged. You can make the infrared effect as detailed as you want by adding more dashes in the adjustment area. See example below.

4.) For a variation on this effect, once you are done and have closed the Curves adjustment, Click Cmd (Ctrl: PC) I to Invert the image.

Hope this helps. Credit goes to Colin Smith @ photoshopcafe.com for this effect.

I've also posted my own example of this technique.

Enjoy!

~Dub

dubya

Here is my original pic:

dubya

And here is the infrared version. Left side is normal, Right side is inverted.

wbiss

Guru
;) Ah... so that's "infrared".

Thanks Pierre... that link is a great thread! :perfect:

B7 :D Cool technique dubya! It's a "first" for me and I'm anxious to play with it!

Thanks for sharing! :D