What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Insomnia or Selfportret Nr.1

SeniorS

Guru
It's late and i'm not going yet to sleep (dumb).
So decided to try one joke.

Open self picture. Put it zoomed in somewhere where it don't disturb PS tools etc.
Make new document. Take brush.
Paint (by mouse).
And forget about CTRL+Z (okey, i used it about 3-5 times for absolute bad lines).

And after about 10minutes i get this:
selfportret.jpg

from this
selfportretoriginal.jpg

I considering to vectorize or cartoonize myself. Started to read some tutorial for technic and inspiration.
And looking at all that and seeing my sence of art, i think, i'm in big trouble :)
Nose, lips will definitly couse problems.

And i don't even imagine (how and where to start) what i'll do with my thin hair especially on forehead.
In all tutorials so far, they all have good solid hair to work with.

Anyway i can say that it's one of my first painting ever. Never do full image paintings (i don't count masks and etc.).

So how is it? :D

Considering it's your first attempt ever mate, well done AND TO USE THE MOUSE ONLY even better job.
Not easy to do is it?
Why do it in grey scale though mate, why not keep the colour version?
Personal choice i suppose, what you need to do is mix the facial colours with mixed pixel movements, you got it my old mate smudge and liquify are in there to mate.
Then you do numerous layers of black and white highlights to achieve the depth and shade of skin you need also gives definition to lines in face etc.
This is a quicky mate you will have to finish it off like you asked.

Last edited:
Thanks Paul!

I didn't do colored version because i playd with idea to paint from scracth on white paper (like in real life) and colored would be more dificult.
And it's more like a joke. Using Undo only for really irregular lines (as said 3-5 times).
Like painting on real paper with real pencil and eraser is lost :)

Wow that is really good freehand!
It looks like one of those police mugshots haha :D

I did something like that before, but it was not airbrushed and it was back when I started to learn PS and never finished the piece of work...
You can look at it below if u want :) made all of it in pen tool, except the earrings, and the background (because I got lazy, got lazy with the hair and body too)
http://fc08.deviantart.net/fs71/i/2010/277/3/1/megan_fox_vector_by_dottgamma-d303bvw.jpg

Last edited:
Good work!

Very patient with hair.
It looks that shoulder and neck aren't made by pen tool too :)
I'm thinking about something like that.

hi senior. i worked on making your picture more cartoonish with effects. then i tried some freehand. that is very hard with a mouse. so i tried drawing, but i am very rusty. i used to do caricatures but been a long time. i might keep at it and see if i can get something i can alter in PS. if i do, i'll let you know.

In the meantime, here's a little senior a la matisse :mrgreen:

Attachments

• SeniorMatiise.jpg
    SeniorMatiise.jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
i used to do caricatures but been a long time. you never mentioned that before mate?

i used to do caricatures but been a long time. you never mentioned that before mate?

Truly hadn't even thought about it.
Well, speaking of insomniac, it is just about 4am here. Got out of bed as sleep wasn't happening, swore I wouldn't open photoshop ... and now the sandman is calling! C U all l8r!

I don't mind Zeelex at all :)

Paul, yeah, something like that i had in mind but you know that it never works that way.

get a load of that avatar! if I had done that for avatar wars . . . ! It seems to me that you don't like this sort of compliment very much, but you have very fertile imagination.

Here's a freehand sketch with a little help from a PS layer mask seeing through to the altered photo, and a little freehand painting to bring drawing a little closer to photograph.

No caricature yet :mrgreen:

Attachments

• SrSketchManip.jpg
    SrSketchManip.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 11
It seems to me that you don't like this sort of compliment very much, but you have very fertile imagination.
You right i don't (because i know myself a bit better) :)

Here's a freehand sketch with a little help from a PS layer mask seeing through to the altered photo, and a little freehand painting to bring drawing a little closer to photograph.

No caricature yet :mrgreen:

And it looks very good. You are very patient, all those hairs. I like it.

You ain't wanted by the police are you senior?

You ain't wanted by the police are you senior?

I hear that he´s wanted by the Federal'naya Sluzhba Bezopasnosti for having painted a mustache on a portrait of comrade Putin. :D

Back