What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

International Photoshop Meetup Day

MsOz

Power User
There is a site, www.meetup.com, where groups of people with similar interests meetup in cities all over the world.
The Photoshop/Graphics Designers section has over 2,369 people, and this month's "International Photoshop Meetup Day" is June 28th in up to 651 different cities.

So, if you're of a mind to actually interact with fellow 'Shoppers, you should consider signing up, and going to a meet! :perfect:

I've been promoting this for a year or so now. The link is on the front page of my site, near the bottom. :D

I think it's a great concept, and support it totally.

One thing that's bugged me in the past though, and the reason i don't go anymore, is that people would say they were going to attend and then not show up. The last couple meetings, i was the only person to show, so i stopped wasting my time with it.

I wish more folks could find time for this and be committed to it. I really like the idea. :\

If you're lucky you live in a city where it works. I browsed their message board but I don't get the impression that it's a great succes.

Look for yourself and try to find something positive, a meeting that really worked out. All they talk about is cancelled meeetings, people who don't show up, how they should improve their web site to attract more people for meetings, etc.

In only a very few cities you seem to have people that actually meet.
It seems that it doesn't even matter if you live in a big city like New York: http://www.meetup.com/boards/viewthread?thread=199382&listpage=70

I would like to see this idea to work, but I have strong doubts and Mark's experiences made these same doubts even stronger.

Well, when you consider that it's kinda hard to get people together even when you know them in "real-time," sure, there're a lot of cancelled meetings, no shows, etc... that's human nature.

The point you seem to be missing Elysian, is that everything needs to start somewhere...
There are currently only 2 (me and someone else) Photoshoppers registered in the entire Colorado Springs area (a population of about 250,000), so we don't even have enough memebers to have a meetup! But, by getting the word out to the Photoshop community, through "word of keyboard," hopefully more people will become aware and join.

Other PS communities try to have unofficial meetups in various places, this just provides a venue for those who aren't part of such communities.

If you don't live in a city where meetings are scheduled, you can always add your city to the list, and see if you can get the word out.

I agree with Mark, I think it's a wonderful idea, and more people should take part.

We tried that also where I live in a very, very large city. Same thing every time, one or two people would show up even though several voted and replied they would be there. At some point you say what is the use. We even networked with other designers from states close by and talked on the phone with them but again, no shows.

Back