What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Invalid JPEG Marker Type?

Unscripted

i tried to import some photos into photoshop but i am getting this error

1522340990388.png

the solutions i found online aren't working, any ideas i could try?

Eggy

Retired Moderator
The file probably has a double extention, .jpg.png...
This problem occurs when you have Windows set to hide extention and .jpg becomes the effective extention.
Change that policy in Folder Options, then fix the extension. (change JPG to PNG)

Last edited:

Unscripted

Try this :

1) Open up the image in MS Paint,

2) Ctrl + S and save the image (you can over write),

3) (Try and) Open the Image in Photoshop.

I tried saving it through the image viewer and that didnt work but paint did, thanks for the help :)

Isac

Banned
Most time this error is because a PNG file has been named as a JPG file. A quick way to see if this is the case, is to drag the offending file (which has the JPG extension) onto your web browser page. It should open and display your image no matter what. Right click on the image and select "View Image Info". When that's displayed, click on the "Media" tab and you should see similar to this ...
png-jpg.jpg
The "Type" is displayed as PNG Image and does not match the extension of the viewed image, which is JPG.
To open it in PS, simply rename the extension to match the actual "Type" which in this case is PNG.

I hope this helps others that may have the same issue, I know I've had it on a number of occasions and it has worked every time.
Cheers.