What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is it possible to change the shape of the canvas?

dawnmarie

Is it possible to resize a RECTANGLE graphic I made (4ftx8ft) to an 8"x10" poster? I hope I am asking this correctly. I am often asked to design large print banners. But then they want that same design as a 8"x10" poster they can print and put on their business door. Is this possible? The ratios are different so it does not fill the whole page? Help!!!!!

thebestcpu

Guru
Hi dawnmarie
This may be a matter of communication with your client.
Assuming they don't want a change in the aspect ratio of your graphic (and associated distortion), there are only two basic choices.
a) You crop part of your deign
b) you fit inside the 8"x10" space with extra space that will be blank or creatively filled.

My guess is they would not want a crop so with the 1:2 aspect ratio of the original, the maximum size you could fit in the 8x10 is actually 5"x10" with a 1 1/2 inch open strip on the bottom and top or your design. That open strip can be left unfilled or creatively filled many different ways.

So your next step is to let the client know the choices given their original constraints and find out if they have flexibility in the constraints and which direction they want to take.

I bet forum members could contribute if they wanted to go down the path of creatively filling the open areas.

Hope this helps
John Wheeler

dawnmarie

Thanks so much a John!! You confirmed what I thought and what I did!! I filled the negative space and she was fine with it!! Thank you again!!!