What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is it possible with just photoshop?

Postino

Hi guys,

I'm new here. I wanted to know if its possible to make an image of a white cloth over a face without any external 3D program? Something like the "Hollowman" movie. I thought of using it for my signature.

Cheers
;)

Welcome aboard Postino! :)

I'm not familar with the movie "Hollowman" that you refer to. Is it possible to post an example of what you're trying to achieve? [confused] And, off the top of my head, without knowing what you mean (but having total faith in Photoshop) I would have to answer your question YES! ;)

In the meantime, enjoy your stay here!

Hi wbiss, I don't have a sample picture, I'll look for it.

I want to make something like the picture below. But using white silk cloth instead of sand.

Something like having a face extrude out of the cloth.

Oooh ya I love that kind of effect.

In PS you are pretty much limited to the displacement filter,if and I say if you can make a really good displacement map to be able to pull it off.Work like that is hard enough in 3D let alone PS :)

Why not use the image above and trim the face out then desaturate it and try some filters over it etc.

Stu.

Hey, that's a really cool effect! :D Might give it a "go" myself, using Stu's suggestions! If I'm successful, I'll post my results. ;)

I DID IT !!!! [excited]

WOHOOO....PHOTOSHOP ROCKS !! :perfect:

Sorry guys...I'm just happy I managed to make the cloth thing. :D

Thanks for the advice kiwi !!
I'm still working on the extruding face, doesn't look right.

cheers :D

I tried putting some textures, but still doesn't look good enough. Any suggestion(s)?

Can anyone change the cloth color to white? or light grey?

Hey, great job there Postino! :perfect:
To change the cloth colour as show here, I "desaturated" the pic and then did a curves adjustment.

Thanks for the tip wendy :perfect:
Is there anyway to improve the image?
looks cartoonic...

Photoshop's the best ;)

Man you are coming alond good with that when you get it done please share you techniques with us :perfect:

Reminds me of a scene from the original Star Wars pic. :rofl:

Postino: Is there anyway to improve the image?

It's difficult to figure that out without seeing your layered PS file. You say that it looks "cartoonish", yet I don't think so! ;) You did a great job! :D

Try reducing it down to the "avatar size" (75 x 75 pixels) that you want to use and see if you feel the same way.

I have tried to paint a displacement channel to get a similar effect before,at that time I could do it but I will have another go.

Stu.

;) That displacement map idea sounds like a really good one Stu!
Easy to then just take it and apply it to any surface! :D

[innocent] Something else to put on the "have to experiment with" list, for me! :D

Thanks for the comments guys. :)
Hmm...I can't make out what it is when its 75x75.

Anyway, I grayscaled my broher's face, and used levels and layer effects like inner shadow and drop shadow(the amount depends on the image size). Then applied some gaussian blur. For the folds in the cloth, I mainly used airbrush and paintbrush and a little bit of smudging here and there. I don't know how to explain it. The whole night I put my fist under my shirt to be able to visualise the folds. If I put my fist under my shorts then my parents might get the wrong impression. :D (reminds me of american pie)

Next I created another layer for the texture. Add noise, motion blur, displacement map and blending mode to soft light.

I was browsing around this forum for quite some time before i registered, and could be the place where I learnt new techniques and ideas. This is really a great site. I learnt more from these forums in one month, than from my University in 3 years. :perfect:

Cheers
;)

Postino:
Hmm...I can't make out what it is when its 75x75.
I can clearly see it Postino! I would say that you've got a lot of "stuff" happening on the right side of the image that can use fixin' up. This might be interfering with the visual that you're looking to create. Food for thought... ;)

Yeppers, you've stumbled into the best PS forum site on the net! Your comments and observations are echoed daily here! I'm glad to hear your positive feed-back, Postino! :D

I had a play and decided the effect even with a displcement map would be really really hard to do Postino :)

Heres a smily face I made.Its a bit of humor if you chuck in the tex channel in lighting effects Wendy :perfect:

Stu.

Hi Kiwi,

Just for fun. This is the best I could do. the extrusion doesn't look right though. any ideas for improvement?

cheers,
;)

:rofl: thanks Postino.

Try this open the image in a new document,select all,edit copy,go to the channels palette,click on the channels tab,make a new channel,and paste the image in the new channel.Run back up to the top of all the channels {rgb} and click on it,now you should be back in layers area.Fill your document with a texture of some kind and go the lighting effects filter,run down to the bottom of the window and where you texture channel browse down and you will see alpha 1 {our image} select it,now move the slider to mountainous,choose a spotlight for your light source,make it light yellow,move it to the left of the small lighting window on your left itself and you should see a 3d dimensional face appear.Reason this happens is because black is registered as concave and white as convex,or up and down,and all the greys in between as one or the other,giving us a 3d type effect,oh ya click ok and you should get a similar effect.Cool thing is you can use the channel on any type of texture or image,so save it in a file and copy it in when you want to mess around with it,try it over some photos or something :D

I tried making the other face and found really quickly I was not going to be able to do it.

Stu.

Back