What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is the vector business profitable?

pauloalex_98

Power User
Hey guys, I'm starting to get really into the vector business as I can draw really well and I believe I can turn my drawings into some pretty good vectors.
Is it a profitable business? Are there a lot of sales?
And what is the bad side of the vector business?

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Hey.

I'm starting to get really into the vector business
This all depends on what you're referring to when you say "Vector Business"? Are we talking logos here? Where are you planning on working? Are you planning on making a living doing this? The internet is very competitive and requires daily hustle and bustle. You do a lot of work that may or may not be accepted. You may do fantastic work only to be under bid by someone else.

I can draw really well and I believe I can turn my drawings into some pretty good vectors.
This would be a hard call since we have not seen much of your work. Vector drawing is fairly simple and most anyone with moderate Ps/Ai knowledge can create them. Remember, you are not the only one who can draw and turn the drawings into vectors. You're also not even close to being the best at it. (note: this statement is based on the fact that no matter how good you think you are, there will ALWAYS be someone better!)

Is it a profitable business?
Again.......depends on what you're referring to when you say "Vector Business". There are literally hundreds of thousands of people out there creating vectors. In some countries, many people are running cracked versions of Ps and Ai and selling vector work for next to nothing. The adobe line of software is highly affordable and readily available to just about any one. YouTube and all of it's instructional tutorials have made it easy for just about anyone to learn the software. What once was reserved for a few, is now open and available to all! I don't recommend quitting your day job. Hopefully, vector work will provide you with some beer money.

If your looking to be competitive in a hugely saturated market, then you need to shine brightly and stand out. I personally feel that if you're limiting yourself to just one category, then you would be missing out on the rest of the available market. The only people that I know that are making serious money with Ps, Ai, Id, and Ae, are all working for local design companies or just companies in the design department. I have had friends with exceptional Adobe software skills who tried their hand at internet (freelance) work and are now working regular day jobs in order to make ends meet.

I hate to sound so negative, but it depends on you, your determination and drive, your marketing and networking skills, your Ps, Ai, Id, Ae, skills, and how much time and money you have to devote getting your work out and promoting yourself. Another factor here in the US would be dependent on whether or not you have a degree. It's not imperative, but some companies may not even consider hiring someone without a degree on their resume no matter how good the work is.

Again, I hate sounding so negative..............I think I try to be more on the realistic side of the matter. It's way more competitive than you can imagine and requires a huge amount of hard work for little pay. On the more positive side, if you ever make a name for yourself and get your foot in the door with a big firm, the earning potential is awesome and far less work. The firm will do all the legwork!

pauloalex_98

Power User
Hey.

This all depends on what you're referring to when you say "Vector Business"? Are we talking logos here? Where are you planning on working? Are you planning on making a living doing this? The internet is very competitive and requires daily hustle and bustle. You do a lot of work that may or may not be accepted. You may do fantastic work only to be under bid by someone else.

This would be a hard call since we have not seen much of your work. Vector drawing is fairly simple and most anyone with moderate Ps/Ai knowledge can create them. Remember, you are not the only one who can draw and turn the drawings into vectors. You're also not even close to being the best at it. (note: this statement is based on the fact that no matter how good you think you are, there will ALWAYS be someone better!)

Again.......depends on what you're referring to when you say "Vector Business". There are literally hundreds of thousands of people out there creating vectors. In some countries, many people are running cracked versions of Ps and Ai and selling vector work for next to nothing. The adobe line of software is highly affordable and readily available to just about any one. YouTube and all of it's instructional tutorials have made it easy for just about anyone to learn the software. What once was reserved for a few, is now open and available to all! I don't recommend quitting your day job. Hopefully, vector work will provide you with some beer money.

If your looking to be competitive in a hugely saturated market, then you need to shine brightly and stand out. I personally feel that if you're limiting yourself to just one category, then you would be missing out on the rest of the available market. The only people that I know that are making serious money with Ps, Ai, Id, and Ae, are all working for local design companies or just companies in the design department. I have had friends with exceptional Adobe software skills who tried their hand at internet (freelance) work and are now working regular day jobs in order to make ends meet.

I hate to sound so negative, but it depends on you, your determination and drive, your marketing and networking skills, your Ps, Ai, Id, Ae, skills, and how much time and money you have to devote getting your work out and promoting yourself. Another factor here in the US would be dependent on whether or not you have a degree. It's not imperative, but some companies may not even consider hiring someone without a degree on their resume no matter how good the work is.

Again, I hate sounding so negative..............I think I try to be more on the realistic side of the matter. It's way more competitive than you can imagine and requires a huge amount of hard work for little pay. On the more positive side, if you ever make a name for yourself and get your foot in the door with a big firm, the earning potential is awesome and far less work. The firm will do all the legwork!
Thank you for your opinion and the advice, it is a long and difficult road if I want to make money out of freelancing. Though I'm already making money, no matter how little it is. My first thought would be to acquire status as a contributor on websites like Shutterstock and sell my vectors there, it is not easy but with hard work and creativity I could make some money, not much in the beginning, but some. I'm planning on finishing school and getting a design degree, with my Adobe skills heightened and more profoundly explorated and a degree I could get a job at a design company, but if I want that I'm gonna have to work for it. And here is a drawing I made. Not perfect because I drew it in 10 minutes but do you think this is vector material?

IMG_7355151.jpg

Last edited:

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
My first thought would be to acquire status as a contributor on websites like Shutterstock and sell my vectors there,
This would be fine but you won't be able to live off that unless there have been some serious changes that I'm not aware of.

And here is a drawing I made. Not perfect because I drew it in 10 minutes
Well...........it's hard to say for sure. Have you looked online to see what others are doing with skull drawings and skull vector images?

but do you think this is vector material?
I would have to see the vector conversion, it may be much better than the 10 minute drawing.

ushere

without being rude - don't give up your day job...

as a professional tv and video producer with over 40yrs experience in acquiring graphics for productions, i can assure you there are literally 1000s of 'artist' of one sort of another hassling for work. it's a highly competitive market, made even more so by sites like freelancer.com, where i can get professional, broadcast quality vector / motion graphics created to either my specs, or clients for a fraction of the cost of doing it locally (and unfortunately, nowadays, bottom line is all important). whether the work comes from sydney or mumbai, the client doesn't care as long as it's what they want.

i do wish you luck, but be warned, it IS a tough, unforgiving market....