What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is there a pic viewer like XP's for 98?

dazco

Does anyone know of a picture viewer like the one in XP that i can download for 98? ( Preferably a freeware) The deal here is that i'm giving my old PC to my sister and she refuses to buy XP for lack of funds. I want to make it easy for her to view pics, as they don't get any lamer than her when it comes to using a PC. Just to teach her to navigate to a file via an "open" dialog thru a program would be impossible. (seriously ! She might be able, but would forget in a day)

The XP pic viewer is a no brainer.....just click on any pic in a folder and it opens, then lets you scroll thru all the pics in that folder w/o ever having to navigate to a folder via an open dialog. This is ideal for he, but i'd have to D/L and install 50 of em to find one thats close.

So does anyone know of a viewer that has the same feature as the XP one where all you gave to do is click on a pic in a folder and the prog will open (yes, i would first associate jpgs to the pic viewer) and let you scroll thru all the pics in that folder?
Thanks

There is a fairly inexpensive app called Ulead PhotoExplorer Pro. I bought it about 3-4 years ago when I was running 98 on my PCs.
It allows you to view all the files on your PC, either as thumbs or full screen, and you can rotate .jpgs with no degradation when you resave them vertical. You can view slideshows, convert formats, oh...all KINDs of stuff!
It set me back about $30, and I still use it to this day, even with XP Pro, PS 7, Painter 8 and all the rest. It's a faster way to see all the images in a file than Windows' thumnail view.
They have a free trial so you can get addicted to it easily:
http://www.ulead.com/pex/runme.htm

Thanks, but she won't even spend the $ to get XP home, so getting her to pay $30 for an image viewer would be impossible. But i think i just found a free on that will be easy enough for her and allows to view the folders contents in full screen (no bars of any type..true full screen) and scroll thru them just by clicking anywhere.

isn't google doing a image viewer free of charge at the moment

What about ACDSee? I have it installed on my home PC and even my wife can use it :D

/Moltas

Moltas said:
What about ACDSee? I have it installed on my home PC and even my wife can use it :D
Same here and yes, even my wife can use it (she uses it every day for her store) :D

I'm still using the old v3.1 (7 is already released), beause it's super fast and super small. ;)

yes, old (and free) versions of ACDSee are often given in the CD's of computer graphics magazines.

There is also Xnview, and others...

Hi There dazco \:]

Try IrfanView! For those who aren't familiar IrfanView is a fantastically powerful software program which is an image viewer and so much more and it is free for non-commercial use and for commercial users there is a one-time fee which is extremely reasonable.

It is not affected by the J-PEG Virus issues (cannot spread this pest) as there is no GDI+ usage in the software and the software is capable of a milllion more functions in addition to image viewing. There are also many, many free plugi-ins available at the irfanview website.

No Graphic Artist or Hobbyist should be without this software and it is compatible with all Win-Doze applications (WIN 95, 98, 98 SE, NT, 2000, XP, 2003)

Go Here to find out more about IrfanView and to download....

http://www.irfanview.com/

Hope this helps. 8))

regards, ranger72

Irfanview beats them all.
I even use it for batch jaypegging thumbnails.
And for movies.
Even to open Photoshop files.
Simply assign PS as your chosen pixel magician and off you go.

I use XPPro, but I uninstalled that thing. Just like I got rid of Messenger, NetMeeting, Painter, games and many other things a 'pro' OS shouldn't have.

I prefer Irfanview to PS' browser.

Back