What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is there a simple way to make straight lines very slightly wavy or distorted?

ukujw

Apologies if this isn't posted in the correct place. I'm not very proficient with photoshop and everything I've learned has been from YouTube tutorials.

I'm looking to find a simpler way to make straight lines on shape edges or lines slightly wavy. I've included a picture of the effect I mean, I'm talking about the red rectangle around the picture. Up until this point I've just been using a brush tool to go over the rectangle and make the lines wavy but I'm hoping there is a simpler way. If you have any ideas let me know!

Thanks

Annotation 2020-04-28 161411.png

One way is to put the line on its own separate Layer (I prefer making the Layer a Smart Object after that) and then applying the Filter > Distort > Wave filter. Lots of adjustments to make it look the way you want.
Hope this helps
John Wheeler

Hello and welcome.

Another possible solution.

With the Brush Tool, create a brush preset using a round brush. Play with the brush and the settings until it creates a pattern you like.
Screen Shot 2020-04-28 at 11.18.04 AM.png

Then use the Pen Tool to create your rectangle outline.
Screen Shot 2020-04-28 at 11.18.22 AM.png

Right click and choose "stroke path"
Make sure the Brush Tool is selected. Uncheck "simulate pressure if needed
Screen Shot 2020-04-28 at 11.18.45 AM.png

Hit OK
Result....
Screen Shot 2020-04-28 at 11.18.53 AM.png

You will have to experiment to get it the way you want it.

All good ideas above. Here's one more.
  • On a new layer, create a rectangle using the Rectangular Marquee tool and then an Edit>Stroke command.
  • Apply Filter>Distort>Ripple. Experiment with different settings.
Step2.jpg

Holy malarkey guys thank you so much! All the suggestions thus far have been a lot easier than what I used to do.

Back