What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

IS THIS POSSIBLE? : Using Photoshop Files like FRAMES???

camarosource

I am creating a website in psd for final proof. I created split the file so there are basically 5 layers

[HEADER]

[CONTENT]
[FOOTER]​

And of course a LOT of sub layers inside each to create a page of the website.

Let's say I am working on PAGE 1 and have done perhaps 20 pages (seperate psd files with all the same information except the content layer is changed) and decide later on that I want to edit the HEADER layout. Now I have 20 psd files that I would have to edit all 20 to match the edit I did to the HEADER in the other psd file.

I basically am looking for a way to import seperate psd into 1 psd file

IE.

HEADER.PSD
LEFT.PSD
FOOTER.PSD

RIGHT.PSD
FOOTER.SD

And then a PAGE 1.PSD which is simply a SHELL for page 1 of the website at the other files are IMPORTED similarily like FRAMES in html.

NOW.. I at first immediately thought SMART OBJECTS.. ah. but it doesn't appear to work in exactly how I need it.

With SMART OBJECTS. While I can have 1 page and PLACE the 4 psd files inside (header, footer, left, right) to create the layout, the SMART LAYERS are INDIVIDUAL

In otherwords, if I had PAGE1.PSD, PAGE2.PSD, PAGE3PSD all using the same PLACE feature to import the 4 layout regions, if I wanted to edit the header region I CANNOT simply edit HEADER.PSD and all the changes would be changed in all the PAGE1.PSD, PAGE2.PSD etc because it seems to save HEADER.PSD seperately INSIDE PAGE1.psd. Edit HEADER.PSD and nothing changes inside the PAGE1.PSD..

Basically when you double click a PLACED layer (ie. HEADER), save the edits, it only changes the HEADER SMART OBJECT INSIDE the PAGE1.PSD and NOT actually HEADER.PSD

Anyone able to HELP??

you should do it all in 1 psd document but set up layer comps which lets you keep any combination of layers per page
so basically comp 1 will be your home page with header footer etc on then comp 2 in the document you keep the header and foot but can have different content.

this will also make it a lot easier to export into dreamweaver etc.
will have a look to see if I can find a good tutorial on layer comps as I am guessing you are not aware of this feature.

Unfortunately it's not what I'm looking for because the only way that would work is if I took all the pages of layers and merged them to one gigantic psd with a result of a good 200-300 layers.

but each comp would be equivalent to a psd and dreamweaver will break each comp down to a page.

The alternatives is to create your header etc as a smart object and link it

Actually I take that back. I think that MIGHT actually work. I see you can save the POSITION of graphics and layers and not have any effect on changing the original position.

That is one amazingly POWERFUL feature. It's quite the task to convert all like 30 psd files to this 1 "INDEX" page but I think it IS the key to what I want to accomplish! Thanks!!

Back