What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

It's Heeeere, a 1.5 lb. baby PS7

Lee

Guru
The box was sent off for bronzing per the other thread and now I have to get back to all my unlearned tuts. PSE has been officially retired. :D :D :D

Question on a post installation window. Every once in awhile when I open PS7 I get an Adobe Photoshop window that reads:

You currently have Adobe Photoshop primary Scratch and Windows'
primary paging file on the same volume, which can result in reduced
performance. It is recommended that you set Adobe Photoshops
primary Scratch volume to be on a different volume, preferably on
a different drive.

It will not let PS open until I click the okay button. WTH is this? Does anyone know? Like I said, it only comes up once in a while so I'm not even sure it's important.

Thanks

L

Congratulations to the proud new Daddy of PS7! :D :D :D
Cigars all around! [:I [:I [:I

Lee, open up PS and go to Edit/Preferences. Here you can set the parameters that this dialogue box is asking for. IF you possibly can, it has always been recommended by Adobe (for performance reasons)to segregate (keep separate) your "scratch disk" (put it on a different HD or partition) from the drive where you installed PS. I'm no expert in this area, but most people seem to agree that this is the best and most efficient setup as far as PS is concerned. ;)

I'm sure that some of our very saavy and "techie" gurus will jump in soon enough, to give you better guidance in this area! :)

[confused] Happily enough, my "scratch disk" resides on my C drive, along with PS and I've never experienced a problem as far as memory is concerned. ;)

yahooooo lots of fun to be had today huh!
congratulations mate :perfect:
sfm

Whoo! Congrats on the new "baby," Lee! You're gonna have lots of fun!

Wendy is absolutely right..that's where you specify your scratch disk for Photoshop. A little bit of info on the scratch disk:

Photoshop uses a scratch disk when it's open and you're working on a file to temporarily save history states, multiple copies of the file(s) for undoes, and a lot more information about the file. You get the space back when you close PS.

Yes, PS greatly prefers a separate disk or partition for the scratch disk. To optimize performance, choose one with a lot of empty space, preferably defragmented. 1 Gig isn't unreasonable.

If you're on Windows, do not assign your C drive as a scratch disk if you can possibly help it...you may very well have system problems.

Do not assign anything other than a hard disk or partition as a scratch disk (no zip disks, CD-RW, or ::shudder:: a floppy).

Personally, I bought a 1 gig external drive for this purpose...it was cheap (under $20).

You can assign more than one disk or partition if you want...PS will use the first choice first, then the second if it needs it, etc.

Congrats Lee!! I can only dream of having a PS7 baby... :{ I think it is cool you got such a grand deal on it!!! Way to go...take her out for a steak din din! :perfect:

Thanks Linda,

We think alike. Unfortunately, I live in Phoenix and she and her husband in Detroit but I did include an extra $100 when I paid them for PS so they could go out to dinner on me as a thank you. ;)

L

Back