What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

jpeg color does not match Photoshop color

YellowJersey

OK, the JPG and the PSD files look identical, and with reasonable colors when viewed in Photoshop, Bridge, InDesign, or any other application that is properly color managed. I also checked, and when I produce a JPG from your PSD, I get exactly the same thing that you got. So, up to this point, everything looks fine.

However, if I view your JPG (or, for that matter. ANY jpg) using different image viewing programs, it will look quite different depending on whether the program is color managed or not. Specifically, on my system, when I view JPGs using programs that aren't color managed, the greens look way too intense. I suspect that's the effect that you are experiencing. To confirm this, look at your JPG with several different image viewing programs, eg, Bridge and Irfanview ( which can be set up to be color managed), and then using Firefox, Chrome, Internet Explorer (if you are using windows), and any other programs you have laying around.

Let me know if the colors look ok on some and no good on others. We'll go from there.

Tom

PS - I realize that you weren't asking about this, but if it were me, I would fix the converging vertical lines and do some burning and dodging work to even out the illumination ... maybe even drop in a slightly cyan-blue fake sky like in the attached file.

Kind of off-topic:

Dear god, you have no idea what a godsend finding this post was. It's been driving me nuts for months wondering why Irfanview was showing such a huge discrepancy between images saved in Adobe RGB and sRBG when viewed in Irfanview. I'm operating under the impression that you work with a photo in Adobe RGB for print and then export in sRGB for web, but I NEVER got consistent colours when doing this and viewing them in Irfanview, despite my info saying that they should be pretty much the same. They always looked the same when I viewed them in photoshop, but Irfanview would always disagree. I enabled colour management in Irfanview and poof! They look the same despite having different colour profiles. Thanks!

Tom Mann

Guru
Hi YellowJersey - I'm really glad that you found this thread and it was of value to you. If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask. Either add them to this thread or start a new one, whichever is more appropriate.

Best regards,

Tom M

tienbu

Hi Guys sorry for resurfacing this thread but I am facing an issue similar to this but on a different scale.

I will describe my setup and settings including my hardware so it will be easier to understand.

My Hardware.
1. I have my main pc with an Nvidia 770.
2. Attached to this pc I have a 5yrs old Wacom Cintiq 24hd and a brand new Acer Predator.

Note the Wacom is 97% Adobe RGB and the Acer is 100% sRGB

My settings.
1. For the settings I did calibrate both my Wacom and Acer. (Using Spyder Pro) and Color managing both Monitors
2. In both my Illustrator and Photoshop my color settings are the following.

sample_01.PNG

3. When opening a new file in this case to be used for web related graphics I use sRGB in the new file.

An last here is my issue.
On the new psd I simple draw a box with this hex c7494a. Here under are two images one how it look in Photoshop and one how it looks on any other sofware including Chrome. Note I export using Save for web (with convert to sRGB)

sample_02.PNGsample_03.PNG

Testing
For testing I usually make two windows (Photoshop Window>Arrange>New Window)
One on my wacom and one on my acer. The acer one shows the psd exactly how I will export. The Wacom is always desaturated.

I tested this on a seperate MSI laptop with an Nvidia 970m. With 94% sRGB and 73% Adobe RGB. When I open the psd it shows the good color not the desaturated one.

I tried updating my Photoshop and clearing all preferences but the problem keep showing up.

Sorry for the long post I am super frustrated about this issue. I searched all over the internet until I found this post. I hope there someone out there that has a solution. I will pick up a ticket, visit you and buy you drink. :)

Thanks
Etienne

thebestcpu

Guru
Hi Etienne

It would help to know which version of Photoshop that you are using for all of these experiments. How color profiles were handled for PNG files changed quite a bit around Photoshop CS3 as I recall.

What is interesting about your two supplied PNG files is that Preview on my Mac sees them as sRGB yet when imported into Photoshop CC they are flagged as having no profile.

That is a yellow to red flag that something is going on that does not make sense to me.

If you have a later version of Photoshop, do the PNG images you provided in your post read as having a profile. I noted you have your settings to flag you when no profile is embedded in the image.

John Wheeler

Last edited:

tienbu

Hi John,

Thanks for the quick reply.

I just updated my Photoshop the latest version to test this issue.

Regarding the images they are both screenshots as it was the only was to show the difference between the two instances (Inside Photoshop and Chrome)

1. Here is the exported version using Save from Web.
sample_04_saveforweb.jpg

2. and here is the settings when exporting.

saveforweb.PNG

Thanks,
Etienne

thebestcpu

Guru
Hi Etienne

I will do some more checking with the image you sent yet I did note that in your settings you do not have the "Embed Color Profile" checked which is in the upper section of the Save for Web dialog on the right side.

I also want to point out that that data will be in sRGB yet the image will not be tagged. The issue with this is that when using Chrome, an untagged image is not assumed to be sRGB and when you pass the information on to an Adobe RGB monitor, the colors will be over saturated. Firefox can be configured to assume sRGB when the image is not tagged yet I have found no such configuration for Chrome.

I suggest check the Embed Color Profile and see if that helps some.

John Wheeler

thebestcpu

Guru
BTW - I just confirmed that you JPEG image you posted did not have the color profile tagged/embedded with the image yet the image data does have the hex value of C7494a

Note that Chrome is not the best browser choice for color management at this time. Safari on Mac is good and Firefox is good on both Mac and Windows if you have the settings set correctly.

tienbu

Hi,

Thanks, for noticing it. I've been going trough so many options that I totally ignored that one. Too much stress hehe.

Thanks again I will embed the profile from now on.

Thanks,
Etienne

tienbu

Quick question. I noticed I can embed in both png and jpg but what about GIF? There is no embed profile option. I am searching about it as we speak.

thebestcpu

Guru
Your welcome. Not sure that will fix all of your issues so if not, just post back here again to continue the analysis.
Fingers crossed that does it for you

John Wheeler

thebestcpu

Guru
As far as I know GIF file format does not support inserting color profiles. So given that the vast majority of monitors are closer to sRGB (and still a minority of monitors have Adobe RGB), probably be best to make sure the image data is in sRGB color space as many browsers make that assumption.

Hope the incremental information is helpful.

John Wheeler