What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jpeg with included paths, why?

ZipedX

Power User
Hi Everyone!

I've been using Ps on and of for a few years now as a hobby so I'm somewhat able to find my way around it.

Now for the actual question:
Why would you include paths in a jpeg?

Moreover why split it into several paths? I have a vague memory of paths beeing able to render for example a background transparent in say illustrator. Can that be it?
My reason for asking is that I work as a Digitalprinter operator and we have got a client that wants us to mask out objects in pictures and also in som cases separate them into paths.

I have got some suggestions that you could use paths in a layout program to make text flow around the path. However this seems strange in the examples I have got.

I've scaled down the example we got from the client and can post link to it after five post :cry:. Hopfully someone can send me an pm and help me out with this.

Meanwhile I'll go post somewhere until I can add the link accourding to the rules.
:)

Thank you for your time.

I am not sure you are making yourself clear -- to me that is. I try not to read too fast, but . . .

It also sounds like you are asking two questions or a question and an issue statement.

Well as to the jpeg. You can take a jpeg, bg and all, add a path to it, save it as the same jpeg and Photoshop will save the path without requiring you to save a psd. That keeps your file small if you need, and allows you to save the labor if you want to go back in and use the path for selections at a later time.

There may be other reasons and more technical reasons intended by the authors, but that is how I use them.

Let's see what other members have to add.

They may intend to use it... in Photoshop or most likely, another image edit program that can read paths or alpha channels which is why they want a path saved into the jpg. Such an application will not be able to open a psd. Thus, a jpeg is required.

I think GIMP is one application that can read PS created paths in a jpg. I could be wrong tho- never used GIMP.

Most probable reason why they send it for processing is because either they have no time or patience or skill to do it..........

One more thing.... they requested save to jpeg? or jpeg2000 (.jpf)? jpeg2000 , in my opinion, is better with path/alpha transparency and has a higher compression ratio thus a smaller file size compared to JPG (another reason they want a jpg - small file). ..... just my 2 sens.

ibclare
"I am not sure you are making yourself clear -- to me that is. I try not to read too fast, but . . .
It also sounds like you are asking two questions or a question and an issue statement."

Your probably right about me not making myself clear. Sorry...

I want to know why you would send a jpeg for editing asking for included paths like the examples I'll happily link in the future.

Also thanks for the quick reply. wasn't prepared for it at all.

You can post your images or links now.

So the project is just to prepare and include a path in the re-saved jpeg, is it?

Didn't seem to work to include a link yet.
Got stopped at preview post since I only made 3 posts. But I'm getting there.

Thanks for the fast reply, you guys mak me feel really slow.

Trippled post myself sorry.

Here is the link I've been wanting to post.
Paths

One more thing.... they requested save to jpeg? or jpeg2000 (.jpf)? jpeg2000 , in my opinion, is better with path/alpha transparency and has a higher compression ratio thus a smaller file size compared to JPG (another reason they want a jpg - small file). ..... just my 2 sens.

Is the quality/compression loss the same as an ordinary jpeg?

Thanks all for the help.

Jpeg2000 has found use as a format for archival purposes. Tho with a higher compression (thus a small size) it does not compromise quality.

I don't claim to know everything there is to know about it but I can suggest you look up comparison reviews between the 2 formats.

Here's something you may want to go through.... http://www.verypdf.com/pdfinfoeditor/jpeg-jpeg-2000-comparison.htm

Trippled post myself sorry.

Here is the link I've been wanting to post.
Paths

Is the quality/compression loss the same as an ordinary jpeg?

Thanks all for the help.

Jpeg2000 has found use as a format for archival purposes. Tho with a higher compression (thus a small size) it does not compromise quality.

I don't claim to know everything there is to know about it but I can suggest you look up comparison reviews between the 2 formats.

I'll do just that thanks for the input.

They may intend to use it... in Photoshop or most likely, another image edit program that can read paths or alpha channels which is why they want a path saved into the jpg. Such an application will not be able to open a psd. Thus, a jpeg is required.

Have you had a chance to look at my examples? If you have does the above still stand? Also my understanding of the alpha channels/ paths is almost non existent any good reading tips?

In answer to why they created a number of paths.... What comes to mind looking at it is if your client intends to replace the unmasked areas with something in the future.... a change in product description or brand name font on select products in the image....

Question... how does your suggestion to use the paths to make text flow around the path come into the picture with this clients work order when all he wants is to mask out and add paths in the saved JPG? ... as what you mentioned.

Have you had a chance to look at my examples? If you have does the above still stand? Also my understanding of the alpha channels/ paths is almost non existent any good reading tips?

I've never used GIMP but I know it can read PS paths or alpha channels. Your image work will work.....

In answer to why they created a number of paths.... What comes to mind looking at it is if your client intends to replace the unmasked areas with something in the future.... a change in product description or brand name font on select products in the image....

I belive you are correct in this, but if it's as you suggest couldn't the same be accomplished just using a masking layer, and why wouldn't you?

Question... how does your suggestion to use the paths to make text flow around the path come into the picture with this clients work order when all he wants is to mask out and add paths in the saved JPG? ... as what you mentioned.

Acctually I've tried to get this question answered for a few days and I started out at the adobe forums for beginner as you can see in the below link. I've quoted the particular post that got me puzzled. Perhaps you guys understand better what he meant.

"If I understand what your after. Paths in that case were used to create a bounding box for page layouts. Allowing the text to flow around the object in the image rather than the outside edge of the image. Giving the the text a curved look.
Today some page layout programs are capable of detecting the edges of objects or will let you alter the text frame similar to how a vector rectangle could be altered."
Silkrooster

Adobe Forums Why would you add paths to a jpeg?

I forgot to mention.... You can "embed" a path in a JPEG but not an Alpha Channel.

addendum.....
I didn't see your post.... the above answers your first question....

I'll be right back... I need coffee.... lol......

addendum.....
I didn't see your post.... the above answers your first question....

I'll be right back... I need coffee.... lol......

didn't see yours either :D

Also thanks for the links really appreciate it.

Last edited:
I think I've finally got my answer, maybe now I'll be able to sleep in peace for a change. ;)

Thanks for all the help dv8_fx I really appriciate it.

sorry... was doing something else in the forum....

OK, glad to help...

Incidentally... it seems the other guy in the other forum misread your question. I get what he's saying and it is correct had you asked the question for that.... , but the reply did not have any direct bearing with your real question.

Relax... take a breather from work... you deserve it....

Relax... take a breather from work... you deserve it....

I would say that goes for you more than me.
I've just had the role of confused pupil all this time and your part was the patient mentor.

Back