What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Kindly suggest me and teach me please

Hi, Gurus am trying to cut a drone from its background. I used the pen tool to do it and I cut almost everything, thou some fringes left .tricky part is how to cut those propellors with faded ones? Any help and tutorials will be highly appreciated. My second part of the request is how to limit the blue fringes over the image? Do I need to use modify the selection and contract it to few pixels and hit delete button or are there any advanced techniques?? Kindly teach me. Ever indebted to you all.

PS: I attached layered PSD and the image I downloaded from free images site

Cheers

drone-784310_1920.jpg

drone-784310_1920.png

Attachments

• drone-784310_1920.psd
    1.9 MB · Views: 1
Last edited:

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Hello.

Addressing the first part of your inquiry.

Isolating propellers in motion is always a challenge. You are dealing with very soft edges. Just use a layer mask and the Brush Tool with a large soft brush, set the flow rate down to 8% or less. Work slow and easy.

Before....
Screen Shot 2019-06-09 at 8.19.16 AM.png

After.
You can clip a Hue & Sat adjustment layer to the props to pull out some of the blue hue. You use the adjustment layers-layer mask to isolate the props.
(Note: I worked on this rather fast so it's not perfect)
Screen Shot 2019-06-09 at 8.25.36 AM.png

Eggy

Retired Moderator
I can't beat Iamsam's method but I'll still propose mine.
It is a bit cheating but it is Photoshop...

You could remove the props, draw a black rectangle on the position of one part and apply a spin blur to it.

Untitled-1.jpg

You'll need to make the end of the prop rounder by using a mask and a hard brush

drone-784310_1920.png
Drop the opacity (I forgot to do it!)

I realise my method is way more time consuming...

Eggy

Retired Moderator
For a quick dirty job that tool is fine but for a selection you should always use the 'select and mask' option!

puraidodes

Hello.

Addressing the first part of your inquiry.

Isolating propellers in motion is always a challenge. You are dealing with very soft edges. Just use a layer mask and the Brush Tool with a large soft brush, set the flow rate down to 8% or less. Work slow and easy.

Before....
View attachment 99434

After.
You can clip a Hue & Sat adjustment layer to the props to pull out some of the blue hue. You use the adjustment layers-layer mask to isolate the props.
(Note: I worked on this rather fast so it's not perfect)
View attachment 99440
Wow! That looks good!!