What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Las Vegas Before and After

crzykate58

Aw thanks Jessicayla!!! ^_^ i had a hodgepodge of different images that i had to use for the background lol! it was quite fun!!

mattattack347

Power User
Sweet job!
I see a few spots where it is alittle sketchy ,but the untrained eye will see it as perfect.

ibclare

Queen Bee
(thanks Daniela for bringing up some posts I missed)

Hi Kate, nice work!

I see one thing that throws me immediately. Even though the guy may be perfectly balanced, he seems to be tipping a bit in the after image. His shadow is not right either and that may be part of the problem with the off-kilter sensation I get. Also he is a bit too bright. There is less detail in the highlights than in the original. It just looks too hot.

But that said, I like the composition, the extraction work, and the compositing of images. Very nice.

Last edited:

crzykate58

(thanks Daniela for bringing up some posts I missed)

Hi Kate, nice work!

I see one thing that throws me immediately. Even though the guy may be perfectly balanced, he seems to be tipping a bit in the after image. His shadow is not right either and that may be part of the problem with the off-kilter sensation I get. Also he is a bit too bright. There is less detail in the highlights than in the original. It just looks too hot.

But that said, I like the composition, the extraction work, and the compositing of images. Very nice.

What needs to be changed with zee shadow? should it be stretched more outwards?

ibclare

Queen Bee
What needs to be changed with zee shadow? should it be stretched more outwards?

You have multiple light sources. If you look at the curb behind him, you can see how the backlighting is casting shadow. If you look at his left leg, the knee in particular, you can see that there is a second and stronger light source. Find something either in pictures or reality which is casting two shadows. One will -- generally -- be strong, one light.

In addition to the direction of the shadow, it needs to be softened. It is very angular and dark. Seldom are such shadows thrown and there is an edge as the light filtering around, let's say the corner of a building, diminishes ever so slightly. What I do when I am creating shadows -- and there are other ways, you might want to search the forum -- is to make a layer below the subject. Then I sample another shadow in the image, choose a medium hard brush at a medium low opacity and paint the shadow closest to him, such as under the shoes. This will be the darkest. As I take the shadow out further, I soften the brush and decrease the opacity more. Once you have a shape that is satisfactory, you can go back in and add more to the depth of shadow. Sometimes when I am pretty well satisfied with what I have, I will take a zero hardness eraser at an opacity less than ten, make it really large and make a pass or a few around the edges of the shadow.

I hope this answers your question.

Nice work.