What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Layer Blending Modes

brotian

Hello,

I have used Photoshop for years, but never in the capacity. I'm trying to blend layers together and then have the ability to save the top layer with the effects as its own layer. I'm sure that is not too clear so I have attached a screen shot.

Basically, have a B/W raster as a layer. Then I placed a smart object from Adobe Illustrator (a bunch of line vectors) on top of the raster. I then used my layers panel with a Screen option and I get the effect that I want. Where the line crosses a light area on the background it becomes light, and where it crosses a dark area it becomes dark (See Screenshot). Now what I want to be able to do is save my line layer as PSD document and not have the background layer on there.

If I flatten the layers, I obviously get the background layer. If I turn off the background layer, then I loose my screen effect.

This may be an easy fix, or impossible. I'm not sure. Thanks for any help.

kru

Attachments

• ScreenshotPS.jpg
    ScreenshotPS.jpg
    536.3 KB · Views: 3
I deduce you want to use the psd for other images?

CTRL+click the line layer icon to select the lines.

Make Background layer active. Right click - Layer via copy.

Delete BG layer. Merge the remaining layers and save as psd.

Hope I understood your request... lol...

You are correct, I will overlay the exact same line layer to the newly created PSD document and blend the two with the multiple command. It will create a line with varying shades of (Brown in this case), lighter brown in the lighter areas and darker brown in the darker areas.

I'm new to this forum, so I am not sure how to attach another screen shot. I did as you mentioned and when I deleted the background layer my lines (which are really rasters) converted back to their original solid brown color. Screenshot2.jpg

Any other ideas?

kru

Hello,

Yes I will eventually I will overlay the raster lines on a color background like thisScreen3.jpg.

However, this example the lines are solid vectors. I would like for my lines to vary in shading, lighter for the lighter areas and darker for the darker areas.

kru

Ohhh.... with what you've done, just simply hide the background layer and save the file as a psd. And apply the line layer or drag in a new background into the file. YOu can also save only the line layer without a background layer

Now I must caution that line image effects may not work the way you intend it with other backgrounds. You may have to tweak it a bit.

I think that I finally figured it out. With the lines selected I just went to Edit-Copy Merged and then pasted in a new file that was sized the same. This is the effect I was striving for. Screen4.jpg

Now I just have to refine. It is subtle, but I am loving the effects.

Thanks again,
kru

It seems you have solved your problem already but I was also thinking of suggesting the Edit-Copy Merged option. Glad you figured it out. Cheers!

Back