What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Layer Grouping driving me crazy. How Do I Stop It?

What the Heck

Hi, Everyone. I'm a new PS user but have been learning a lot just by this forum and YT vids, etc.

I am trying to take a main image and then apply a second image (a logo) to overlay it. All the sudden about two days ago, every time I open a new layer it says "Group 1," "Group 2," "Group 3," etc etc etc. It's driving me nuts. How do I turn this off? I realize this must be something really simple and easy that a new user may not be aware of. I'm stuck at this point and cannot apply the second layer/image. Help!

I did multiple searches on this topic in YT and Google but found no exact fix.

Thanks in advance for your expertise and patience with me.

WTH

Can you please post a screenshot of your layer panel?

How are you opening a new layer? Sounds like you're opening new groups.

New Layer icon
Screen Shot 2019-08-04 at 3.09.57 PM.png

New Group icon
Screen Shot 2019-08-04 at 3.10.26 PM.png

Rather than ducking the issue, I'll just confess that I'm an idiot. Yes, I was clicking on the Groups icon. D'Oh! Sorry to waste your time. It seems fine now.

Will bump post if problem reappears.

Thanks.

No worries! I hit that new group icon all the time! It just looks like it should be a new layer!

No worries! I hit that new group icon all the time! It just looks like it should be a new layer!
Thanks again. My ego is not attached to being right. After 35 years of marriage, I'd be spending a lot more nights on the sofa if I was. Just learning PS as I go. It's exciting and fun, and I do appreciate your patience and knowledge.

Thanks Again. Really Appreciate it.

Back