What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Layer Mask question (seems it should be so easy)

jimchicago

Hi,
I have brought an image (of a bus) into Photoshop and I wanted to make it look like a fully assembled jigsaw puzzle. So I used the Pen tool to draw the jigsaw shapes, saving the shapes onto a single layer as a vector mask.

Then I rasterized the vector mask, making it a layer mask . . . and when I did, all the shapes disappeared, leaving only the image of the bus. But then I saw in the layers palette that the layer mask is there. I just can't seem to figure out how to make the layer mask appear on top of the background (bus) image.

When I right-click the layer mask thumbnail in the layers palette, I see various options. Here's what I get when I try them:

- When I "Apply Layer Mask" nothing seems to happen.

- When I "Add Layer Mask to Selection" or when I "Intersect Layer Mask With Selection," I get the jigsaw shapes appearing over the background image as flashing dotted lines . . . but there are also some diagonal lines appearing that I don't want.

Having created the shapes and rasterized them into a layer mask, it seems like it shouild be SO easy to make them appear on top of the background image, but I am stumped! Very much hoping you can help,

thanks,
--Jim

Jim, I'm not sure but it seems that you are making the path lines but that you aren't using them.
You need to stroke the path lines. Open a new layer before stroking the path lines with a 3-5 px stroke.
Then you can add the bevel look or what-ever you have in mind.

Lasa

Lasa,
Thank you for replying so quickly. The photo you attached and the puzzle piece on it look PERFECT. I understand the basic idea of stroking path lines but I'm not sure exactly how to do it. Based on your reply, I assume that creating and rasterizing a vector mask was the right way, or at least "a right way," to create the puzzle-piece effect.

As for how to stroke the layer mask, I need to know, for example: do I take one of the drawing tools and re-trace all the lines I made (I hope not)--or is there a way to simply select the layer mask and click a 'stroke' button? And you say I need to create a new layer to stroke the lines--why can't I simply stroke them on the layer where they already are? If I have to stroke it on a separate layer, how to apply the stroking to the layer mask, and then get the mask onto the background image?

Sorry to have to ask for detailed steps, but as we all know, missing even one step can make a big difference in Pshop.

You've lost me with the layer mask? I don't see where the layer mask comes in?
Just so you'll know what I am talking about.
Open your image. add a blank layer above it. On the blank layer draw a puzzle piece with a hard black brush. Now to this layer with the puzzle add a bevel adjustment.

So now lets do it with a premade path.
Open your image. add a blank layer above it. open the custom shape tool (under the text tool). withing the custom shape there is are a couple of puzzle pieces. Click it. now click and drag on the blank layer. Once the path piece is draw go to the "path layer" (grouped with the layers / channels / paths) At the bottom of the path layer there are some icons 1) fill 2) stroke 3) selection pick the "stroke".
Now turn off or delete the hight lighted above path.

Now you can add the bevel etc.

If you don't separate the piece lines from the image you will not be able to add the adjustment style,
bevel drop shadow etc. to the line. It will add it to the image which won't work.

Does that make any sense?

If I remember right the original PS cd has an extras that don't load...one of which is a full puzzle to lay over your image.
If you explore the PS cd it underTEXTURE FOR LIGHTING EFFECT
see attached sample...

Frank

Instead of stroking a path, you can also create a shape instead and use a layer style to stroke it, add bevels and all other kind of fancy stuff. It does the same thing, but it's easier and more flexible.

I'd prefer layers style as well.
If you have path ready (and unwilling to bother with some more shapes), just go to you path window, CTRL-click path, create new layer (CTRL+Shift+N) and selection fill with any color. Set Fill 0% and use Bevel and Emboss.

naddy said:
If you have path ready (and unwilling to bother with some more shapes), just go to you path window, CTRL-click path, create new layer (CTRL+Shift+N) and selection fill with any color. Set Fill 0% and use Bevel and Emboss.

Welcome naddy. 8))

If you already have a path then you don't want to convert that a selection and fill it, because you will lose all the advantages of paths and shapes.
Better is to convert the path to a shape by adding a Solid Color adjustment layer with the path active, because that's all a shape is; a vector mask attached to a solid color layer.

Gaussian, you are quite right 8))
Shapes are great - so easy to transform and scale...

Thanks to all of you who posted with your helpful comments. Here's what I've put together as a result. What do you think?

Good, but don't use a white soft stroke, use something darker with increased hardness.
Fix the piece marked with red, it seems to be transformed.
To give the image more impact, you might not just have the background shine through, but rotate the background in every single puzzle piece as well. Also consider to have the pieces placed in a more random fashion or place pieces on top of each other. Lots of possibilities to make this one ever better. It's a lot more work, but hey... beautiful things often take time. ;)

Here's an example. Rotating and/or moving the background inside a piece (in combination with the bevel/slight drop shadow) also allows you to get rid of the fake glassy look. Use clipping layers to change the background inside a piece.
Don't try to fill the whole image with puzzle pieces; a handful will have more impact than trying to fill every spot.

Back